Victoria B&B for me and my mama

Aug 7th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Rosenatti

Victoria B&B for me and my mama

I'm searching for a charming B&B-style accomodation for my little (yes, she is) 81-year-old mama and me in Victoria. Problem is, the places that seem to earn the highest praise -- Abigail's Hotel, Beaconsfield Inn, etc. -- also seem to be geared toward honeymooners and couples in general. Most offer only queen- and king-size beds -- no twins -- and though I'm really very fond of mama, I don't want to share a bed with her, much less a romantic jacuzzi for two. I guess I'm used to European B&Bs, which seem to carry a different cache than those in North America. Can anyone recommend a hotel or bed and breakfast in Victoria where mama and I don't have to pretend we're newlyweds? Thanks!

Aug 8th, 2001, 09:53 PM
April

I don't know of any B&B's that fit the bill, off-hand. You could check out the Ramada Huntingdon Manor or the Royal Scot Suite Hotel, both near the main attractions but undoubtedly not as charming as Abigail's or the Beaconsfield.

Or maybe you could replace the charm with a water view at somewhere like Laurel Point, Ocean Pointe or the Regent. The Oak Bay Beach Hotel might be a bit stuffy but is in a charming area away from downtown.

Aug 9th, 2001, 06:21 AM
T.M.

I had to smile at your post. I'm facing the same issue now but with a co-worker. We're close but we're not THAT close.

I am doing some research on Vancouver, not Victoria. I found these two places that you might find interesting:

http://www.dougwin.com/html/homes.html

I think one of these two has twin-bedded rooms.

Aug 10th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Rosenatti

Thanks for the advice! Mama will be relieved that I won't be carrying her across the threshold and toasting her with bubbly in front of the fireplace... charming though that may be under other circumstances.

Aug 26th, 2001, 08:22 PM
Steven

My mother and I are actually making the same trip in a couple weeks -- and have been through the same dilemma. We are staying at both the Prior House (which is providing 2 beds) and the Empress during our stay. Good luck!

Aug 27th, 2001, 10:37 AM
KT

Have you looked at bbcanada.com? It has pages for lots of B&Bs, and they're not all frou-frous and jacuzzis. The pages say what kind of rooms the B&Bs have (twin-bedded, etc.)