toronto for a weekend in November

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toronto for a weekend in November

Hi, Have a chance to go to Toronto over Veteran's Day weekend-would arrive Friday afternoon and leave on Monday afternoon. But, given that the weather may not be very good, I am wondering how to plan my time. I like museums, shopping, and am always interested in history. I have already been to the CN tower and Casa Loma. So am hoping for suggestions on how best to fill the weekend. especially any ideas on "out of the way" places Thanks
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:32 PM
hdm

Oh, don't worry about the weather. It might be a little nippy but we probably won't have snow that early. It might even be sunny and brisk. Bring gloves.

What area of the city will you be staying in?

I always recommend Kensington Market for off the beaten track ideas, especially the funky stores on Augusta Avenue, north of Dundas. St. Lawrence Market and the surrounding area is nice too. There's a nice farmers market and antique market across the road but I can't remember when it's open. But google St. Lawrence Market and that site will tell you.

The Distillery District is nice. Make sure you see Sandra Ainsley's glass gallery. Also the ROM's (Royal Ontario Museum) new gallery is open. Some like it, some don't, but it's worth seeing. Otherwise, for museums, there's the Gardiner Ceramic Museum and the Bata Shoe Museum. The Textile Museum is supposed to be quite interesting too.

Shopping? What do you like?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:37 PM
hdm

check www.toronto.com to see if there are any special events on that weekend, too.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:41 AM
BAK

St Lawrence Market sells food in both buildings (it is on both sides of Front Stree, at Jarvis) on Saturday, and sells antiques / old stuff in the north building on Sunday. South building is closed.

Lots to do on a weekend. Newest new museum is Museam of Inuit Art, at Harbourfront. (Queen's Quay Terminal building) In addition to new building addition at the ROM, the Gardiner ceramic museum is rebuilt. Art Gallery of Ontario is under construction, but open.

There's always lots to do ion a weekend in Toronto.

BAK
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:15 AM

Maybe some of these ideas are too "out of the way", depends whether you have a car:
- The McMichael Gallery in Kleinburg just to the northwest of Toronto. Lovely Art Gallery in a wooded setting featuring works particular to Canada, especially paintings by the Group of Seven (early 20th century impressionist landscape painters), and works by native artists.
- in the City, but northeast of the downtown - The Ontario Science Centre, a science museum with lots of interactive displays. Now, this tends to be "family oriented", although it appeals to all ages, there can be lots of kids running around.
- The Toronto Zoo, in the northeast corner of the city. A very large "natural environment" zoo. Contains a number of indoor displays in addition to the outdoor enclosures.
- I haven't done this myself for a great many years, and the appeal may be somewhat specialized, but the Royal Winter Fair will, I think, still be on at the Canadian National Exhibition grounds on the southwestern edge of downtown. This is a huge Agriculturally themed fair, and they bill it as the largest event of its kind in the world.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi thanks everyone for these suggestions. to answer your questions-I will actually be visiting relatives a bit north of Toronto, but did want to come into the city for 1-2 days. As for shopping--well, most anything, art, handicrafts, clothing--"stuff"--I am a 40ish single women--no kids, if that helps. The St. Lawrence market sounds as if it is just what I'd like
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:43 PM
BAK

I've just come in from eating dinner outside, with no jacket, in October, in Toronto. Neighbor kids are swimming on an outdoor pol.

Weird.

Who knows about November????

BAK
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:36 AM

On Sunday, there will be Remembrance Day ceremonies at various locations including the Cenotaph on Queen at Bay; the Zoo - free admission if wearing a poppy, Fort York, etc. Most ceremonies would start shortly before 11 am

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 08:20 AM

I went to see "We Can Rock You" a couple of weeks ago. There were 2 of us and we entered the 'lottery' that they have for rush seats for the Sunday matinee. You line up at noon, they take your name and shortly after, they draw names to see who gets tickets. Tickets were only $25. I have to warn you - we were in the front row and it was noisy! But it was still a fun and inexpensive way to spend the afternoon. I imagine some of the other theatres also have rush seats. "Drowsy Chaperone" is playing now.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:37 AM

I think the AGO is now closed until summer 2008.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:36 PM

If you are interested in ballet the National Ballet of Canada is playing in Toronto in November. It is an outstanding company. Go to http://www.national.ballet.ca for further information.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Weather Update... looks like temps in the upper 40's to lower 50's and clear forcast right now... sounds great for your visit!