Search

How long to spend in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Mo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long to spend in Toronto

My sister and I are attending a wedding in Toronto over our Memorial Day weekend. We would like to take in some of the cities sights. How many days would you suggest spending in Toronto? The wedding is at night so it won't cut into our sight-seeing. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 08:29 AM
JMM

It really depends on your interests. Toronto has an excellent museum (The Royal Ontario Museum - about 1/2 day), a good Art Gallery (the Art Gallery of Ontario (a couple of hours), an excellent zoo (the Metro Toronto Zoo) - a full day excursion (it is out of the way and large), The Ontario Science Centre, tons of interesting restaurants with just about any ethnic cuisine you can imagine,lots of shopping possibilities,interesting neighbourhoods that are great to stroll through (The Beaches), nice parks (Toronto Islands,High Park). So it really depends on what you enjoy doing - some people would be happy with a day or two, others would not find a week long enough.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Mo
Original Poster

Thanks JMM I now realize that my question is impossible to answer. Here is the real question if we come up Thursday morning should we stay till Monday like I want or leave on Sunday as my sister wants? Would we be able to fit in most of the sights if we left on Sunday? Like most females we spend a lot of time shopping. Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:50 AM
JMM

Forgive my ignorance (I am not american) but when is Memorial Day ?<BR>Shopping comments (Although female, I apparently did not get the shopping gene - so hopefully you will get some replies from real shoppers): The Eaton Centre is a big indoor mall type shopping area right down town on Yonge St between Dundas and Queen St; more interesting shopping (small stores, little restaurants) is further west on Queen St between University Ave and Bathhurst St.(the Art Gallery of Ontario and China Town are just north of here on Dundas St- the shop in the Art Gallery has great prints and some unique jewelry); some high end shopping Yonge and Bloor(The Royal Ontario Museum is near here - the museum shop has some interesting stuff) , west of Yonge; some nice shops in Beaches neighbourhood; some nice shops in the Bloor West area (near High Park between High Park and Jane St). <BR>Unless you wanted to go to the Zoo (which I personally think is great but I know not everyone is as fascinated with animals as I am (BTW good shop at the zoo)) you could probably do most things in 3 days.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM
nkh

Having just done a quick check, I think Memorial day is around May 25th this year? This means it is on or after our Victoria day holiday weekend (May 19th this year?) which means a lot of the seasonal attractions (e.g. Ontario Place, Paramount Canadas Wonderland) will have opened again. In addition to the year-round destinations already mentioned, a trip up the CN Tower is great for the view (my opinion is dont bother doing more than the already expensive &quot;basic&quot; ticket). If you want to see a major muscial, but the Lion King and Mama Mia are currently playing, and there are many other theatre choices also. We have basketball and baseball teams so if you are a sports fan you will be able to get tickets to something depending when seasons start/finish (yes we have a hockey team of course but getting tickets is impossible even if I could remember when the season ends!)<BR><BR>www.toronto.com has listings of still more attractions.<BR><BR>We have had guests stay with us for 2 weeks and still not manage to get to everywhere that they wanted to in and around Toronto, so you will not run out of things to do with a slightly extended weekend. You are more likely to need to make a list of priority things to do and see and cut things out.<BR><BR>The previous poster has provided a pretty good list of shopping places (not knowing what you are interested in specifically). The Yorkville area particularly has lots of great cafes and restaurants, and interesting stores (antiques, clothes, books, music etc.). This includes the upmarket malls of Hazelton Lanes and Cumberland Terrace. Great area to wander, window shop, browse, have coffee etc.<BR> <BR>Have fun!
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 09:32 AM

As for how long to stay, you need to decide how much you want to see in addition to shopping. The poster who said that the Ontario Science Center takes a day is correct; however, it's wonderful, and you shouldn't miss it!<BR><BR>If, like stereotypical women, you are into shoes, DO NOT MISS the Bata Shoe Museum. I'm a man, and not at all into shoes, and I loved it. Allow about 2 hours to see it all.<BR><BR>Be sure you know the prices of things back home before you go shopping in Toronto. Because of the weaker Canadian dollar, many things are cheaper there than in the US. However, some things (notably books and videos) have higher prices in Canada to &quot;correct&quot; for the exchange rate, so it ends up costing about the same; you don't save any money, so it's not worth lugging these things back. And Toronto is very expensive by Canadian standards. You'll still find lots of bargains. And food is a steal! Most prices on menus will look normal or a bit high (compared to a big US city), but then you remember, with the difference in exchange rates, it's really only 2/3 the posted price. Be sure to use a credit card or to get Canadian dollars from an ATM to get the best rate. Many stores will take US dollars, but not at quite as good a rate.<BR><BR>Steven
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Oh my and if I could really complicate matters - but if yu want shopping heading outside of Toronto could be in your best interest - Oakville has some fabulous shopping and Niagara on the Lake, and if you like wine then no question you have to do a wine tour...and take some of the wonderful stuff home...<BR><BR>Have fun!