Toronto al fresco

Search

Toronto al fresco

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto al fresco

Looking for a Bistro with great outdoor seating. Neighborhood not important.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:37 AM
BAK

Niighbord doesn't matter, eh? Does the city make any difference?

BAK
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:10 AM

I'm not sure what BAK's question means? I assume you're asking about Toronto!

My question would be more on what kind of food you're looking for.

We're going to the Boulevard Cafe on Friday night, on Harbord in the Annex. It's been around many years, and their patio is quite pleasant. Food is great as well - it's kind of Peruvian.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:26 AM
BAK

Why assume Toronto? There's Calgary with sidewalk cafes, and St. John's, and Sherborroke, and Brandon, and....

Are we supposed to be mindreaders?

BAK
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:30 AM
BAK

Speaking of mindreaders -- mine is apparently broken (the mind, not the reader, although the reader is not doing too good a job, eithere)

Now I note, with chagrin, that the heading on the posting provides info not in the message itself -- pretty clear it is Toronto.

Frisco's patio on John Street between Adelaine and Richmond, in the afternoon.

Alice Fazzooli's patio on a hot day, because it is in the shade, on Adelaide just west of John. Hidden out back, quiet, no cars rushing by.

Apologies... I'd getting coffee to turn my brain on.

BAK
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:41 AM

Um, the title of the thread is "Toronto al fresco".
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Don't worry, BAK

pavfec, needs some coffee too ... he didn't see that you already apologized for not seeing the "Toronto"

;-)

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:51 AM

I've only had one cup - time for another! (I'm a "she", by the way)
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Hi, Baldwin Street, which is just north of Dundas between Beverly and McCaul Streets has a lot of good restaurants with a good variety of cuisines and almost all have a nice patio.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM
PLJ

It's not a bistro but I do enjoy the patio at Allen's (on the Danforth).
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:19 PM
BAK

And, now that I'm awake...

Club Lucky, on John Street, just north of Adelaide, is part of the Kit Kat group, and has a nice patio, on the east side of John, so it gets sun well into the evening, without being shaded from across the street at least until mid-evening.

Plus, the south side of King Street West, from John west to Peter, is completely lined with restaurants with sidewalk seating. The advantage here is that you can llok at the plates the other custoemrs have, and decide which restaurant to stop at.

Plus, the Hot House CAfe, at the corner of Church and Front, near the St. LAwrence Market -- whether it's a bistro depends on your definition.

BAK
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:15 PM

I was at Biff's Bistro for a Summerlicious lunch recently. The patio area is nice, but traffic on Front Street is noisy. Great food, though.

Bistro Bakery Thuet is also supposed to have a good patio, but I can't vouch for it as I've not been.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:44 AM
PLJ

The recent posts have reminded me that one of the reasons I enjoy Allen's patio so much is that its a "backyard" patio so there's very little street noise. Its a fairly good size patio with a few mature shade trees. At midday there is usually something for everyone - tables in shade, in sun, and in semi-shade.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:09 AM

I can confirm Thuet has a great patio and excellent french modern bistro food - the wine list is way, way too expensive for what it is (3x LCBO prices roughly) and kind of put's me off. that said the patio / food is great.

other choices:

Danforth - have to agree with Allen's

Yorkville - Michelle's Brasserie is in the courtyard behind the four seasons hotel

Forest Hill - the Corner House has a nice quiet patio on davenport under casa loma

king west - all three of Crush, Brasaii & Lee have great patio's. Crush and Brasaii have pretty average / typical food. I love Lee - like it better than Susur actually... (got to have the singapore slaw if you go)

Wellington West - Le Select Bistro has an amazing patio on a very quiet street. it is often comapred to Thuet (although the food isn't as good) it has a top notch wine list. also a $19.95 3 course prix fixe dinner late night (i think after 9:30 or 10:00 on weekends)

Queen West - the rooftop at the Drake Hotel is an amazing patio and the new chef there (anthony rose from Alias in NYC) has really upgraded the food recently

i'd avoid the king west strip by john street unless you want to overpay for mediocre food in a very busy environment.

hope that helps, let us know where you end up.

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:15 AM

forgot - if you want to mingle with the bay street crowd try Ki for sushi / $20 glasses of wine or Bymark for great, albeit expensive food with a good people watching environment.

also on king west blowfish has a new patio down an alley (not very picturesque) but great high end sushi.