Toronto Airport hotels

Search

Toronto Airport hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto Airport hotels

I need some recommendations for a hotel for one night in the vicinity of Toronto Pearson International in June 2011. Preferably less than $100 per night.

It doesn't have to be glamorous and we would prefer to spend less than $100. We are on a midday flight the next day. The day before will be spent exploring Toronto a little and we will have dinner in Toronto downtown with friends, so we really just need to sleep there. As long as it is clean, has a comfortable bed and can provide easy access to the airport, that's all we need. We will probably have breakfast at the airport. Thanks, Cathie
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 06:08 PM

"easy access to the airport" is what increases the cost.
I wld spend an extra $50 & stay @ the Sheraton Gateway which is right @ Terminal 3. There are only 2 Terminals in YYZ. T1 & T3. T1 is a short monorail ride which you board from inside The Sheraton. For the convenience, that is what I wld do.
You can probably get it or $150 if you resereve now. ( all taxes included.)

Or, you can look around for something less but you will have to take a shuttle or taxi(add on that cost) to the airport. I have no clue what other hotels "in the vicinity of" YYZ wld cost b/c I always stay @ The Sheraton. In fact, I am staying there in a few days before I fly out the next morning.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 11:21 AM

I have stayed at many of the Airport Hotels. I would highly recommend the Sandman. There is a shuttle and it is a bright modern hotel with nice amenities. Check the price on Hotels.ca. I think that the Sheraton Gateway is almost double the price. It isnt worth it.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM

irec, Never heard of The Sandman. Just made a quick phone call to Sandman Toronto airport. Sandman is $123 & Sheraton is $150. Only $27 diff. No way is Sheraton double! How did you compute "double"? Sandman takes 10 minutes to get to the airport on its shuttle van which leaves the hotel every 1/2 hour.
Sheraton takes 3 minutes on the monorail & it leaves much more frequently from inside the hotel.

To get rates , I selected a random date for both: Saturday June 4 as OP had indicated June, 2011.

Ocean
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 06:27 PM

cathies - I think I understand your situation. You are just looking for a bed close to the airport. I have stayed in a number of the airport hotels and each was fine. I have stayed at the Sheraton Gateway numerous time and I find it really is worth the extra dollars. Instead of waiting for a shuttle and riding the shuttle to the right terminal, the Gateway is literally 2 stones throws away from the terminal or the monorail. You never need to go outdoors if you stay at the Gateway. Good luck with your choice. Let us know what you decide.

tC
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

That was a good guess OceanBreeze1. We need it for the night of Thursday June 2, 2011. The cheapest price I can see though is $251. How do I find the $150 fare that you found?
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Oops not 'fare'. I'm going crazy trying to book Amtrak tickets for earlier that week and I have fares on the bran! The Amtrak website won't accept my Australian phone number!!
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Hi, cathies:
June 4 is a Saturday. June 2 is a Thursday. Saturday rates tend to be lower.

Call (905)672-7000. That's The Sheraton Gateway direct phone number. Ask for Front Desk.( as opposed to "central reservations".) Don't press the key for Rez or it will bounce you over to Central Rez which is where you may eventually end up but initially see if the Hotel can help you.
Tell them you want their "Stop Over" rate. A "Stop Over" rate is, as the name implies, a rate for people who are "stopping over" & flying out the next day.

They also have a "Book & Save" rate or something like that. It' s a rate that you fully pay upfront. You cannot get your $$ back if you choose to cancel. But, you won't be cancelling so this wld be good for you.

Also, are you a Starwood Preferred Guest member? If not, sign up. It does not cost anything. If you are a member, you can use some of your points to defray the cost for your June 2 stay.

Finally, rates fluctuate. You cld always reserve Sheraton Gateway now even if it is more than you want to pay & then keep calling or go online to see if you can get a better rate. ( this wld obviously not apply if you went the 'pay Upfront/No refund" route.)

So, reserve @ Sheraton Gateway but also reserve somewhere else & decide closer to June 2.

Btw, are you flying out of T1 or T3?

Ocean
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

OceanBreeze1 we are flying to Hawaii via somewhere on the east coast of Canada. Sorry to be vague, but one of the other girls booked the tickets.

Thanks for the advice I'm really very grateful. If I can get a decent rate then I'll book that and keep watching on wotif or similar to see what is available closer to to the time.

cheers, Cathie
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Do you mean West coast?
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Thats where I got double.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 01:16 PM

And here is the trip advisor on the Sandman.
8 out of 120 hotels in Toronto.

If you are not flying out until midday I dont think the shuttle would be any problem whatsoever.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...o_Ontario.html
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Oops, yes West Coast. Here in Australia we have to be at the airport 3 hours before international flights, would that be the same in Canada?
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 04:44 AM
BAK

There's a Sheraton on the airport property, with a walkway to one of the terminals. This is a very nmice executive level hotel.

There's another Four Points Sheraton off the airport property, on the "other" side of Airport Road, which is a five minute walk to the westernmost terminal. I do not know if there's a shuttle. It was remodeled a couple of years ago.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 06:19 AM

The Four Points is not great. I have stayed there. And we discussed above the high price of the On site Sheraton. She said in the initial post she is looking at moderate pricing. And she has until mid day to get to the airport.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

irecommend, the flight leaves at midday so I guess we need to be at the airport at about 9am? We are flying to Hawaii.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM

As you indicated that you will be changing flights on the west coast (likely Vancouver), your flight from Toronto will be a domestic flight. Check in 90 minutes before the flight.

In Vancouver you will be precleared through US Customs and Immigration before your flight to Hawaii. Your flight itinerary will have built in sufficient time for this.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've stayed at the Comfort Inn at 6355 Airport Road. I booked through parkflysleep.com, which gets you free parking. But I am guessing that you won't have use for parking. You could walk to one of the Terminals from the hotel but they also have a free shuttle. Takes just minutes from your hotel to the airport. It's about $100 with breakfast.