Search

Houston airport hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Houston airport hotel

Hi all -

My husband and I will be staying overnight in Houston on our way to Belize in September. We basically just need a bed as we arrive at 11:30pm and depart at 9am the next morning. Price isn't as much an issue as closest location to the aiport based upon our flight times. We want a comfy bed to try and get some sleep!

I did a search for my topic and the most recent response was from January 2005 so I thought I'd see if there was any new info.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:20 PM
emd

Some of the airport hotels are cheap and scuzzy. I stay at the Sheraton which is fine and has a shuttle- it is located right at the entrance to the blvd. that goes straight into the airport, so it is very close, but quiet. They have a pretty good breakfast buffet that starts early, like 5:30 or 6 am.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply! I will check out the Sheraton.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Many reports on winning the Sheraton on Priceline for $50 + tax/fees, bidding 3* IAH.

Caveat: While this is the most frequently won hotel recently, the IAH zone is pretty large and cover the Greenspoint area to the west. While those hotels also have complimentary shuttle, they are less frequent and the ride is longer than say the Sheraton.

BTW, there's also the airport Marriott which is connected to all terminals via a underground train.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Just another option. I have used Country Inn and Suites a few times and been fine with them. They are very near the airport entrance and have a regular shuttle service. They are fairly new and priced economically.

I agree that the airport area has a lot of hotels, some which are older and scuzzy, and some which are quite far off from the airport itself. So, you do want to shop around a bit.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:32 AM

The most convenient for such short visit is already mentioned Marriott. It is located right at the airport so there is no need to go outside. We stayed there in the end of April on the way from Grand Cayman. From the bag claim area take an elevator downstairs to the tram which will take you straight to a little confusing lobby of the hotel. Then you take an elevator to a confusing maze of hallways with rooms. Rooms have low ceilings and I felt little claustrophobic but bed was wonderful, room small but very quiet and we had a great breakfast included in our rate. If we ever again have to spend a night when arriving late in IAH then Marriott would be our choice. So if you just need a a comfy bed then Marriott is an excellent choice. However, I wouldn't even think about spending more than one night there. A couple years ago on the way from Belize we took a hotel shuttle from the airport to one of many hotels not too far away but it took about 20 minutes of waiting before it showed up. Marriott is so much more convenient. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again especially when arriving late and leaving early in the morning. I don't know what day of week you are flying out from IAH to BZE but we noticed long lines in the airport. I think you should be there two hours earlier for your international flight. Have a great trip
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your great advice.

The airline changed our flights yesterday so we will actually get into IAH at 7:30pm rather than 11:30pm. It sounds like the Marriott is the most convenient so I think we'll look into staying there for the night.

We will leave for BZE on a Saturday morning at 10:30 so thanks for the heads up about the busy airport.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM

For your next morning flight to BZE, you'll check in at the new Terminal E. I've never seen any lines there, definitely not in the morning.

Pat2003 most likely was using the old Terminal C check-in counters if she flew 2 years ago.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the updated information on the airline terminal!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:49 PM

We also have an overnight stay at IAH in Houston. I wanted to stay at the Marriott but it is SO much more expensive than the Sheraton. The Sheraton got some bad reviews in the past, but any more recent thoughts on this question?
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 05:28 AM

topping and hoping for more info regarding convenience of country inn's ... have free night.

LAnding 10:00pm with 9:20am departure, how much time will we save using Marriott?

Also, do they keep your luggage or do we need to get it and re-check?

thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:30 AM

The Marriott is at the airport while Country Inn is 10 minutes north, maybe 15 in rush hour traffic. Re your luggage, check with the airline.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:12 AM

It's not only about distance, but also frequency of shuttle. The underground train runs basically every minute from the airport Marriott to every terminal. In contrast, a hotel shuttle may run every 15-20 minutes, or you have to prearrange.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 10:14 AM

Topping and looking for any updated information.
We need to overnight on the way to Belize next summer.
I understand the convenience of the Marriott but it does seem quite expensive given the reviews.
We may still go that route knowing we are paying primarily for the location.
Just wondering about any other suggestions.
We arrive at 4:40 and leave the next morning at 9:00.
Will also need a dinner option that we can walk to easily.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Many IAH hotels with free shuttle. Just go with one of those. The better ones like Sheraton, Doubletree all have restaurants in the hotel.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Well, I posted this question several years ago and ended up staying at the Sheraton in 2007. It was fine then. I think that the food in the restaurant at the time was surprisingly good. My daughter also left some papers that she needed in the room and the hotel was really helpful in responding to her calls and searching the room.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the replies!!