Toronto

Aug 9th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Toronto

Staying 2 nights in Toronto- where should I stay and what should I see.
Thanks
Aug 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM

What's your budget? What are you interested in - food, art, music, shopping, theatre, etc?
We can't really tell you what would make a good trip for you if you don't give us some parametres. Come back with more information and you'll get lots of suggestions!
Aug 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Hotel price $150, interest-- shopping, sight seeing, I want to got CN Tower, China town, Little Italy, Waterfront. Any info will be helpful.
Aug 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Hi Jackson,
There's tons of information here about Toronto. I've put a long post on this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/cana...-questions.cfm

Do a bit of a search and then you can come back with some more specific questions and we'll give you great guidance. Also, check the website www.nowtoronto.com for events/
Aug 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

If I am driving from Niagara Falls,what highways do I travel and if I decided to stay outside the city of Toronto what do you suggest. Thanks
Aug 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM

From Niagara Falls, you will take the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) Highway from Niagara Falls to Toronto. Once you reach the City of Toronto you can take either exit at Spadina or York/Yonge/Bay to go directly to downtown area. If you stay outside of Toronto, you will pass many hotels along the QEW from Oakville to Mississauga; i.e., Hilton Garden Inns, Homewood Suites, etc. If you stay at one of these hotels, you will be about 20 minutes from downtown Toronto IF it is not rush hour traffic. Many posters on Fodors have recommended the Strathcona Hotel on York Street. It would meet your budget, downtown location (and not far from York exit from QEW) and near subway station. To go to Little Italy, you will probably take the public transportation.
Aug 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM

The Westin Harbour Front Castle is right on the water front. Fairmont Royal York is right by the CN Tower. Sharaton is close to China Town. these are all very nice hotels, which i'm pretty sure would be within your budget and are all in good locations, close to several things to do. Enjoy your trip
Aug 11th, 2009, 02:18 PM

The hotels that AndyT mentioned would be in the OP's price range, IMO, if you use Priceline.com -- which is a great option. Harder to get something under $200 at that quality if booking directly.

Toronto is a great place to use Priceline -- there are lots of opportunities to bid multiple times if you're looking for a 4* hotel. You should be able to get something for about $65US a night, plus tax& service charges. Parking is likely around $25Cdn a night, but we don't have a car so I can't say for sure

I always recommend taking a look at biddingfortravel.com when you're considering priceline. Their FAQs have great info on how priceline works, and their discussion boards have info about recent winning bids - which you can use to help you decide on a bidding strategy for your dates. If you just want to wing it, I'd say you'd be safe at starting at $65 for a 4* downtown, and then adding other areas which do *not* have 4* properties, and increasing your bid by $5 each time. (These are called 'free bids', and they allow you more than one bid per 24 hrs)
I would *not* recommend staying outside the city for such a short stay - the time and hassle just isn't worth it (particularly when Priceline can get you as good or better hotel rate than booking directly for those suburban hotels).

If you like markets, local foods, browsing and/or people watching, then I'd visit the St Lawrence Market - it's just east of Union Station off of Front Street. From there, you can also walk to the Hockey Hall of Fame, the CN Tower and the Rogers Centre (formerly known as the SkyDome). The ferry docks are near Union Station as well, and taking a ferry over to the Islands will give you an up close and personal view of the harbour. All of Toronto Island is a park, so it's a great place for strolling, picnicking, hanging out at the beach (if you're here int he summe r- not sure of your dates!), and there are some music concerts out there from time to time as well.

The Art Gallery is in the heart of Chinatown, and it's been through quite a stunning renovation apparently (I haven't been yet). That would be worth putting on your list.

In Little Italy, you'll want to check out John's Classic Pizza on College if you like pizza. It is really, really good. Sometimes a line up. If you've got decent weather, it's nice to get a slice and a drink to go, and stroll around. If you're looking for a sit down restaurant, Cafe Diplomatico (known as "Cafe Dip" or "the Dip" by locals) is a good place for food and coffee. Nice relaxed atmosphere and apparently very good coffees, espressos, etc.

I wouldn't bother trying to drive around Toronto unless you are trying to get to the suburbs (Toronto Zoo in the east end, the Ontario Science Centre north of downtown, etc). Most of downtown is easily walkable, and there are two subway lines and plenty of streetcars to get you around. A day pass on the transit (TTC) is $9 (weekdays it covers only 1 adult; Sat, Sun & holidays it covers up to 2 adults and up to 4 kids!). This is worth getting on a weekday if you intend to take at least 4 rides. If you're hopping on and off doing different things, then it's worth getting. Otherwise you can pay by tokens or cash http://www3.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Prices/index.jsp

I hope that's helpful. I recommend taking a look at the links and then coming back with more specifics or questions.
Aug 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM

We just came back from a very brief first time visit to Toronto. We took the subway with friends who live in Toronto and then took the Hop on Hop off bus. You could really stop and see any attraction. We chose to stay on and do the whole tour until we got to the Harbor. We took the boat to Toronto Island and walked around. There was a lot to do but it was stinking hot and we were there with only a short time span. I recommend both if you are there briefly to get a good look at the city. You can stop at the CN Tower, Casa Loma, etc. Next time our visit will be much longer.