Tofino- worth the trip?

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tofino- worth the trip?

Hi, We will be traveling to the Pacific NW in early Sept. After spending a few days in Victoria we plan to travel to Tofino to the Pacific Rim National Park, spend a few nights and then travel back to Sidney to take the ferry to Anacortes. I understand that it is a fairly lengthy trip to Tofino. Is is worth the trip or is there anywhere on the east coast of Vancouver Island that we could do some whale watching and have a similar expereince? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Tofino is fabulous. I don't belive that there is scenery like it on the east coast of VI. I understand you can do whale watching trips from Victoria.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:02 AM

Tofino is well worth the trip but you'd
better make sure you have reservations
b/c September is a v. busy month there.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:43 AM

You can whale-watch from other locations, but you won't see anything similar to Pacific Rim National Park elsewhere. Its been a number of years since I visited, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who would enjoy spectacular undeveloped coastal scenery, fringed by rare old growth temperate rain forest. Tofino itself is a nice town - cafes, restaurants, shops, etc.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:30 AM

We just booked a 2-night whale-watching package at Middle Beach Lodge for mid-later September. Did the same thing a couple of years ago and really had a great time. It's possible there is some availability left, as long as you aren't looking at a weekend. I think it would be better to spend 3 nights (especially if you want to see the Pacific Rim National Park), but that's all we had to spend.

Link is: www.middlebeach.com
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Yes, it's well worth the trip, so long as you can spend at least 3 nights out there (I think going for less time is frustrating given the long drive and how much there is to do out there).
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:47 PM

There are plenty of good alternatives to Tofino. Excelent whale watching trips are offered at the east cost of Vancouver Island. You have a very low possibility to spot an Orca in Tofino and I think it is one of the highlights in Canada to view Orcas. Do a whale whatching trip in Victoria, Campbell River, Port McNeill or Telegraph Cove.

Vancouver Island has also alternative beach locations and if you can visit one of the alternative beaches, which have a more remote location with less visitors than Long beach unit in Pacific Rim NP.