Reload this Page >

Tofino---what's it like in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 03:53 PM
fran

Rates are more affordable in October than August. What's the weather like then?

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 10:13 AM
wendy

Weather can be anything. This year we had sunny days and rainy days. Right now it is breathtakingly sunny. A couple of weeks ago we had our first winter storm with 20 ft. waves and high winds. Absolutely fantastic!!! Tofino is beautiful any time of the year and that's why I moved here. We were coming for winter holidays and it just grew on us.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 11:46 AM
fran

Wendy, if you had your choice, would you visit Tofino in Aug or October?

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Robyn

The only difference between August and October is that August is traditionally warmer and drier, but you're not talking a hude variation in temperature, as Tofino is usually cool in the August anyway. I was there in August of 93 and it was misty and cloudy for most of the time - definitely a magical atmosphere.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 11:52 AM
Michele

I wouldn't plan to have warm and sunny weather on a trip to Tofino ANY month of the year -- and that's okay! In fact, I was THERE for the storm Wendy describes and I wouldn't have traded the wind and rain for the tropics. It was captivating. Bring a good slicker, rain boots, the right attitude about getting wet (and then, getting warm in a soaker tub in front of a roaring fire while sipping some lovely hot concoction)and enjoy MUCH lower rates!

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 12:19 PM
fran

Thanks, everyone. We were going to go in August, but the lower rates have changed our minds and we will now go in October. We plan to stay at Long Beach Lodge.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:08 PM
wendy

You'll have a great time! Long Beach Lodge is very nice - has a great atmosphere! I would pick October because August is simply too crowded for me. I love the off-season here. If you have a chance be sure and have a dinner at the Raincoast Cafe! It's my favorite followed by The Schooner and Cafe Pamplona. If you have lots of $$ have a dinner at The Pointe but lunch is good too and definitely more affordable.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:39 PM
Michele

Ditto on the recommendation for the Schooner. Loved the food AND the service. Didn't get to try the others, but heard lots of rave reviews on both from the locals as well as seasoned visitors.