Venice late Aug or Oct?? Which is Better

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 11:42 AM
mauld

Venice late Aug or Oct?? Which is Better

I've got the chance to go to Venice in either late, late Aug or mid Oct. I've heard late summer can be hot & still crowded, but that Oct, while less populated, can be very rainy. As these are my 2 options, I'm looking for any comments. I'll only be there 2 or 3 days, staying fairly centrally.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:03 PM
lesli

A vote for October. I was in Venice then a couple of years ago, and it was quite nice weather-wise. It was in the 70's and dry 5 out of 6 days, and the rain there was only lasted an hour or two.

I personally hate both heat and crowds, would prefer rain straight through over the scenario for August. Venice is also rather atmospheric in the rain....

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Carol

tough question here.
I've been in March and in May. I've been told that in the heat, Venice can be unromantically ripe, as the water system is their waste system you know. Can't say if it's true. August is also the month that some businesses (restaurants, etc. )traditionally close as Italians flee the heat for the beaches or mountains. Fodor's book usually lets you know which ones.
FYI, this past fall had very extreme weather in northern Italy with bad storms.

October - rainy season begins. But less tourists. and probably cheaper prices. Some people lucked out this year and got some cool, pretty weather -it's hit or miss really.
August - really hot, lots of American tourists, with some restaurants being closed, and perhaps questionable atmosphere due to smell of waterways. Make sure your hotel has A/C, and don't get a room on the top floor.

Either way, you are in Italy, which is great! Have fun whatever you decide.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 01:34 PM
elaine

I vote for October. Early October would be better, but anytime in October with occasional rain would be better imo than August with more heat and definitely more crowds. Venice just happens to be a place for me where iffy weather wouldn't spoil my love for the place. Ditto Paris.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Robert

October October October October Been three times October was the best RR

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 02:57 PM
selena

October for sure ....
Not hot
No long lines
Cheaper prices

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Pam

we were just there the third week of October and yes it rained..but it only added to the surreal nature of the city..we also were given a taste of life with acqua alta which felt more like an adventure. I vote for October.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Karen

October! I was there 2 years ago at that time, and it was not overly crowded and the weather was fine. We had about 1/2 day of rain, but that can happen anytime, anywhere. It was warm enough to walk around in spring clothes.

But I don't let weather bother me - I'm going to London next month!

Happy travels!
Karen

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Tess

Ditto on the other comments. I'd MUCH rather take a rainy October day over the heat & crowds of August.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Denise

Definitely October. I've been to Venice in both August and October and its much more pleasant both climate and crowds. Plus the last part of august the italians go on holiday so the trains etc are more crowded

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 09:05 AM
EyeSpy

October, hands down. August is a nightmare.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Joyce

Go in October. August will be too hot. I visited in May, and it was too hot even then. August must be unbearable. Also, although Venice is crowded all year, July-August crowds are the worst.