Time saved/Hwy 1 VS. Hwy 5?

Mar 17th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Time saved/Hwy 1 VS. Hwy 5?

My readings here show time is saved by taking toll Hwy road "5" from Hope instead of staying on "1" thru Fraser to get from Vancouver to Banff.
How much time on average is saved? I'm traveling in Sept if that makes a difference.
Mar 17th, 2006, 05:23 PM

one hour both have beautiful scenery. The "coke" Hwy 5 Toll $10.00 is three lanes wide in most areas some two. Hwy one winding thru the Fraser Canyon, down to one lane in some areas
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:34 PM

You probably will save more than an hour. Highway five - the Coquihala (sp?) is a four and six lane divided highway that pretty much goes right over the mountains. You will be driving at the tree line. In September there is even a chance you will run into snow but the road is well looked after. Highway 1 - the old Trans Canada follows the Fraser River through the Fraser Canyon.
Both are scenic but the Fraser Canyon is a more leisurely 'scenic route'.
Mar 17th, 2006, 09:56 PM

The Colquihalla is about 190km. No traffic, fast and wide. It can be done at 120km/h or so, so it takes about 1:40.

Trans-Canada is 265km for that stretch. I think it'll take at least 3 hours. Therefore, you'll save more than an hour.
Mar 18th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your time and help.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:56 AM

There's also the #3 from Hope to Princeton - sort of a medium choice between the fast Coquihala and the slow Fraser Canyon. It'll take you to the south Okanagan as opposed to the North Okanagan that you'd get with the Coke...the scenery is much nicer (through the mountains, as opposed to over them).
If I had my choice and time wasn't the primary issue, I'd take the Hope-Princeton just because it's a nicer drive. I've only driven the Fraser canyon once - it tends to be used by a lot of truckers so can get severly congested, especially in the 1-lane bits.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks-I will check this route out too-sounds like a great suggestion.