Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Three days Halifax, Three days Oak Island Resort

Dec 26th, 2002, 08:24 AM
fran

Does this make sense for six days in NS in October? Would like to see fall foliage, quaint fishing villages and eat lobster. Is Oak Island Resort a good "base" for Lighthouse Route?

Dec 27th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Tim

I think 3 days in each spot is perfect for an October visit. My wife & I stayed at the Oak Island Inn this past October, and the foliage was very scenic. Its a perfect base for the Lighthouse Route, since it is very handy to Chester, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, etc. My advice, though, would be to eat at some of the local seafood spots and not eat in the Oak Island Inn restaurant unless absolutely necessary. Hotel was great, but we found the restaurant average - hopefully it was just an "off" night.

Enjoy your trip!

Dec 27th, 2002, 11:37 AM
fran

Thanks, Tim. How far is it from Oak Island Resort into "town" or to the local restaurants?

Dec 30th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Tim

Fran - Oak Island is roughly 45 minutes (give or take) south of Halifax. Its only a few minutes from Chester, about 15 from Mahone Bay, and less than 30 minutes from Lunenburg. Its very close to everything, so you won't have to stray far from the hotel to see the sights!

Enjoy!

Dec 30th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Tanya

Not only is a good base for the lighthouse route, you can take a day trip across to the Annapolis Valley. Make sure to visit Wolfville, Canning (lookoff), Hall's Harbour and Grand Pre.

The Oak Island Inn has been recently upgraded. I have always enjoyed meals there and have not found it to be anything other than great! Try their salmon eggs benedict - love it!