Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Galiano Island or Pender Island - Galiano Inn or Poets Cove?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Gulf Islands and Tofino in April 08 with 3 nights in each place. Trying to decide between the Galiano Inn on Galiano Island or Poets Cove Inn on Pender Island. We enjoy sightseeing, walks/hikes, good restaurants, interesting art galleries. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Poet's Cove looks nice enough, but I would have concerns about the service. I know someone who spent their honeymoon there and was not impressed. That was just after they opened though. My husband and I popped in there once for breakfast or lunch - I can't remember which - only to be told their wasn't any. That would have been in the off-season. A young fellow on the grounds was very friendly but I noticed when we went inside, the man behind the desk didn't even look up.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:47 PM

I've been to Galiano Island countless times over the past 20 years, and Pender Island only once, so call me biased, but I'd pick Galiano based on activities alone. I find Pender a bit too developed for my liking, although South Pender (where Poets Cove is) less so.

My favourite activities on Galiano are:

- walking along the white shell beaches and through the forest at Montague Harbour Provincial Park.

- A bike ride to Dionisio Point to explore the sandstone caves

- A walk through the rainforest to Cable Bay - beautiful rock formations.

- A country style gourmet French meal at La Berengerie.

- Browsing the pottery/art studios

- Hiking up Mount Galiano

- Driving up to see the views of the other Gulf Islands at The Bluffs.

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM

I was thinking when I wrote that reply that Poet's Cove looks nice enough... in an overdeveloped sort of way.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so very much for your quick responses. Looks like we'll probably go to Galiano Island. Have to admit though that Galiano Inn is not great about returning calls...kind of scary way to begin.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Perhaps they're merely on "island time"?

Joking aside, have you considered other accommodation options? Galiano has a lot of B&B options, some with more privacy than others. We rented a cabin the last time we stayed there (August 2007) and stayed at Island Time B&B the previous time - very professional and hospitable. Stayed with family friends all times previous, so my actual experience with accommodations on Galiano are limited. Last August before renting a cabin we found all kinds of unique places to stay, but unfortunately they were all booked up during the time we wanted. But if you're traveling in April, you'd probably have the pick of the crop!