things to do in vancouver & Toronto.

Mar 16th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

things to do in vancouver & Toronto.

Hello we will be traveling to Canada in April i will be going to Toronto,Banff,Lake Louise,jasper & Vancouver.What im asking for is things to see & do & miss in Toronto & Vancouver we are in our late twentys and into most things.We will have about three days in both.
Thanks in advance
Tom
Mar 16th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry i forgot ask for the best places to see the skylines of the two cites.
Thanks
Tom
Mar 16th, 2004, 09:04 AM
BAK

Thew cheapest, easiest, and best places to see the skyline of Toronto are:

From the parking garage roof of the Loblaws grocery store at the foot of Jarvis Street, at Queens Quay. (pronounced queen's Key)

and...

From in front of the Docks nightclub on Polson Street, which runs off Cherry Street, and is so far away from downtown that you need to take a cab,

and...

From the Toronto Island Ferry boat and then from Toronto Island, once you get off the ferry. The boat leaves from the foot of Bay Street, next door to the west side of the Westin Harbour Castle hotel.

Vancouver: several spots, but good ones are from the parking lot of the Grouse Mountain gondola cr ride on the north shore of Vancouver, in the community of North Vancouver.

And...

From the easternmost point of Stanley Park, which is well worth a visit anyway,

And...

From aboard the Seabus, which runs from the old railway station across the harbor to North Vancouver, and is worth a ride anyway.

BAK
Mar 16th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks look forward
to seeing them
Tom
Mar 16th, 2004, 09:46 AM

I agree with BAK about the best viewpoints - they are good tips.

Must sees? I am 30 and lived in Toronto almost my whole life and Vancouver for the last 3 years so might have the same interests as you.... Since you are in your late 20s I would suggest you wander through neighbourhods and see what the cities are really like:

TORONTO:

College Street area west of Bathurst Street (also called Little Italy)- very lively, hip, lots of good cafes, bars, restaurants. You could go in late afternoon, wander, go to a bar for a beer and then find a place for dinner - no reservations needed.

Queen Street West area on Queen starting west of University Ave. Same idea as College Street. Maybe go to the Rivoli and shoot some pool upstairs?

Yorkville - more upscale shopping/boutiques/cafes, luxury hotels.

The Beaches area is also interesting.

In Toronto, I would skip the Toronto Islands in April since there isn't much to do over there until the summer. The Hockey Hall of fame is interesting if you are into hockey but not otherwise. Skip Ontario Place, Casa Loma and the Science Centre.

VANCOUVER -

Kitsilano - on the city's west side, just out of downtown - lots of cafes, a beach, shops, people hanging out.

Yaletown - former warehouse district now home to loft conversions, architects, etc.

Granville Island - not really an island but has a fabulous market and lots of interesting artist studios, etc.

Grouse Mountain - take skyride to the top and have lunch in the casual bistro up there called Altitudes, I think. The food is fine and the view is spectacular on a clear day. You can also wander the trails up there and visit the 2 grizzly bears they have in captivity.

If you are into hiking, trails, etc. consider going over to Mount Seymour (in North Vancouver) where there are miles of trails for mountain biking.

If you like kayaking or canoeing, go to Deep Cove (also in North Vancouver) and rent one for an hour or 2. You can paddle along the shore and look at the scenery and the homes.

The Museum of Anthropology at the university of BC is also an interesting way to get a feeling for the native peoples of the west coast. If you go there, find the Rose Garden which is nearby and offers an amazing view of the coastline up Howe Sound on a clear day.

In Vancouver I would skip the Capilano Suspension Bridge. If you want to see a non touristy real suspension bridge for free take a car and go hiking in Lynn Canyon to see the Lynn Suspension Bridge which is about 20 minutes from the Capilano bridge and completely non-touristy.

Also skip Gastown - it is a huge tourist trap and not a good area at night to be in. It also borders the worst drug scene in Canada if you wander too far east.

Granville Street (the downtown part) is really seedy and has lots of very cheesy tourist trap bars and clubs. If people tell you to check it out by all means do so. South Granville Street is an art gallery and shopping strip which is very nice but is not downtown. It is on the west side of the city, about a 20 minute bus ride from downtown.
Mar 16th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info cat 123 do you know of any good pubs (bars)?
Mar 16th, 2004, 10:21 AM

one more thing - if you are into hockey and the Maple Leafs are in town, try and see a game in Toronto. The arena there is practically brand new and very nice, and as you probably know, hockey in Canada is practically a religion. You can just go to the arena area before a game and buy tickets off a ticket scalper if the game is sold out, as long as you are comfortable bargaining. Tickets in Toronto are quite expensive.

You can also try and see a game in Vancouver but the arena isn't as nice as the one in Toronto.
Mar 16th, 2004, 10:45 AM

In my opinion, pubs/bars are better in Toronto since in Vancouver they all too often are sports bars (don't tell anyone in Vancouver I said that...)

Toronto:

For casual, non-touristy places, I would check out the 360, the Rivoli, the Horseshoe and assorted nearby places on Queen Street West. Lots of those have live music at night.

Also, just about anywhere on College Street is pretty happening - there are new places springing up all the time and they are often packed to the rafters. College Street is the main hangout if you are 20something and in Toronto. Avoid the bars on the Esplanade in Toronto such as the Biermarket - they are very touristy.

The bars on Church Street are also good but are I think really for a specific crowd - that is the big gay area of Toronto.

The Madison pub in Toronto gets a university crowd/early 20s but is not too bad.

For more upscale places, there are bars/clubs on Adelaide Street and Mercer Street that are dressier and a bit swankier.

Vancouver:

In Kitsilano on a sunny afternoon, go to Malone's on Cornwall Ave by the beach or the Urban Well which is right nearby. Bimini's in Kitsilano is more of a university crowd.

For something more upscale, you can try the bars in Yaletown - Afterglow on Mainland Street but there are lots of others down there. There is the Yaletown Brewing Company there as well which is more like a pub but it lacks character.

The bars on Davie Street are pretty good along the same lines as Church Street in Toronto.

The Brass Monkey on Denman Street (downtown) is a good neighbourhood place.

Also Downtown in Gastown is the Blarney Stone which has live Irish music lots of nights and a college/20's crowd. As I mentioned it is not in the best area but as long as you know where you are going or take a cab and don't stay too late then you should be fine.

If you decide to go to the Deep Cove area in North Vancouver, try The Raven pub which is a great neighbourhood spot with lots of micro-brews and excellent food.

For live jazz, the Cellar is a very good place (www.cellarjazz.com) - very serious music crowd though. It is quite a hike from downtown near the university campus.

Have fun!
Mar 17th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks Cat we will enjoy trying these bars!!!