Sutton Place or Metropolitan Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a reasonably priced luxury hotel. We are taking a cruise and then staying in Vancouver for 3 nights. Which is better for location, price, service, and comfort: Sutton Place hotel or the Metropolitan hotel? Wedgewood seems too expensive, as does the Four Seasons hotel. Thank you,
Laurie
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:47 PM

The Sutton for service and comfort, the Met for better price and location... also consider the Park Hyatt for the combination of all... its in Yorkville across the street from the Four Seasons and near the Museums and swanky boutiques... also consider Sasafrass for dinner...mmm good and one of the star hangouts in TO...
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:11 AM

I think the OP is referring to the Vancouver Sutton and Met Hotels, not Toronto's. Not that I can help, but just didnt want the OP searching for the Park Hyatt and Yorkville in Vancouver!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:43 AM
dona

Stayed at the Sutton Place in Van and we liked it. Great location...could walk anywhere from it. Try to get a room up high -- we had gotten a good rate and then paid $10 or so a night more to upgrade to the 18th floor and it was well worth it. Service was excellent, staff was very nice and the fastest elevators I've ever seen! All rooms have recently been renovated, so they are very nice in a traditional style. I would not call them luxurious as in the Four Seasons. I had a hard time choosing a hotel in Van and am glad we ended up at the Sutton Place.

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:01 AM

I've stayed at the Sutton for years and would agree that its a good choice. When booking (or checking in) ask for a room with a bathroom that has a seperate shower and tub -- the bathroom is larger (especially if there's two people) and nicer. I'm also not too sure if they've completely rennovated all the rooms -- so ask for one that has been rennovated.

The location on the corner of Burrard and Robson is fantastic -- a much nicer area to stroll around in the evening than by the Metropolitan. The service is outstanding, I've never had a complaint and I've stayed there since 1990.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:26 AM
dona

They told us that all the renovations had been completed on all rooms. There is a long-term (I think) facility attached to the hotel that is not as nice as the hotel portion. From reading either this forum or Trip Advisor I gather some people have stayed there and are not happy with their rooms. By luck we did have a bathroom with a separate shower and tub and it was a nice size bathroom, but the shower stall seemed a bit on the small size. Not a problem, but I remember noticing that it seemed a touch small. Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Definitely the Sutton Place...I stayed at the Metropolitan on my last trip to Vancouver this past spring (had a gift certificate) and it was nice, but it just doesn't measure up to my perennial fave, the Sutton Place.