Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

super excited ab visiting banff area but need tips!!

Jun 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I have been reading tips here and it has got me even more pumped about banff n calgary..
i have been looking forward to a trip to that area and will be doing so this summer..
however, need some more tips from you guys who actually live there..!!
Me n my hubby love the outdoors and love to drive, take it easy while outdoors enjoying whatever is in front of us.
There is an additional point too which is that we have a small baby so that might restrict us to some extent??? dunno!!
There seems to be a lot of things to see and do so will really appreciate some insights.
we are planning to fly from toronto and be in the area for around 5 days in July-august. Can you plse help me in suggesting must see's of the area..in that time frame and also whatever tips you can give will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!
Jun 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM

My website has an itinerary called Four Days in Lake Louise. That itinerary is equally applicable if you're staying in Banff instead of Lake Louise. You can use it as a starting point and adapt it to your needs:

http://tinyurl.com/fapqr

If I had only 5 days in this area, I would spend it in the mountains, not Calgary.

However, if you do want to take a day out for Calgary, my website has a page called Half Day Waling Tour of Downtown Calgary:

http://tinyurl.com/hx4pl

I also suggest that you read the TIPS section of my website, especially the What To Pack page:

http://tinyurl.com/npoh2

Mountain weather is very eccentric. You could experience anything from 30 deg C down to the freezing mark.
Jun 8th, 2007, 08:26 AM

I have my share of favorites in the area between Banff and Field, BC, which is in Yoho National Park. A quick list:

Moraine Lake
Lake Louise
Johnston Canyon
Takkakaw Falls

A little north on the Icefields Parkway:
Bow Lake and Peyto Lake.

There are short walks all over. Let me suggest you acquire, loan or buy, a copy of the Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson. It is loaded with details on hikes including long ones and short ones, steep ones and flat (relatively) ones. You can go over the list and make your choices.

As for having a youngster along, I think it all depends on your physical conditioning. A few years ago we met two young ladies (sisters) with daughter and niece. Auntie was a skier and had the baby on her back. She had carried the young lady up the Iceline Trail and had reached a point near the high point of the trail.

We were in a sleet storm by then, but these two ladies were equipped for it. The baby was in a carrier with a roof and rainshield.

We passed some other people who were nOT equipped and they were paying a price: ears and cheeks being stung by the wind-driven sleet. Talk about complaining!

If you go to Peyto Lake, continue on to the meadows that are to your left as you stand at the major viewpoint. You can see both north and south for a long distance. Quite pretty up there and the climb was not all that much. I was 70 at the time and negotiated it fine.
Jun 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Also in Yoho is Emerald Lake. It is in a flat area.

If you want a short hike from Moraine Lake, walk the 3K trail to Consolation Lake. The trail is relatively flat as a trail in the mountains goes.

But see Moraine Lake. The view of the Ten Peaks is enough to build a memory.

My son has a series of pictures on his computer than he uses for screen savers. His view of the Ten Peaks and Moraine Lake itself is one of several he alternates. The others are Lake Louise and Malinge Lake in Jasper.

Jun 10th, 2007, 07:10 AM

I just had another thought for a relatively tranquil drive. The Bow Valley Parkway runs from near Banff to Lake Louise. It is much slower than the Trans Canada, but it goes past some scenic areas including Johnston Canyon.

I particularly liked the view of Castle Mountain.
Jun 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM

I don't usually top threads, but this one needs it. Adiswami has asked for assistance planning big trip. Although I don't meet the criteria of "living there", I have been to the Rockies enough that I feel like I know what I like to see and want to see again!

Lake Minnewanka near Banff is regarded by many as a scenic destination. It is easy to reach and rewarding to view.

Jun 14th, 2007, 07:41 AM

People are giving you amazing advice and you will have a wonderful time.

As everyone else has mentioned, must sees are Johnston Canyon, Peyto Lake, Lake Louise, Takkakaw Falls, Moraine Lake, and Emerald Lake. In Banff don't forget to go up the Sulphur Mountain Gondola, the views are breathtaking and well worth it. I would honestly spend all my trip in the mountains, unless you have a real need to do city-type sightseeing. Have a fantastic trip!
Jun 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Judy,
You have given wonderful information with your itineraries. All of the hikes sound great, but I read in another forum not to hike alone or even with just 2 people---that you should only hike in groups due to the bears. What are your thoughts on this?
Thank you!
Jun 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM

If there is bear activity, the trail will be well posted with warning signs. If it is a popular trail, there may already be people standing there waiting for a couple of others to join them. Then take off, making a ruckus in hopes you warn the bears.

For other trails, if popular, there will be plenty of people.

A trail like the Plain of Six Glaciers is crowded at times. You will not be alone.

The only time I have hiked a trail in total solitude was two summers ago when I was on a very remote path that is not even marked on a map and some 12 K from the nearest road.

Something like the Iceline Trail in Yoho has hikers on it even in sleet storms.

Don't work yourself up into a swivet over bears. If the trail is posted, go find another one.

Also I see quite a few solo hikers. As I said, however, the more popular trails are hardly ones to place you in isolation for any length of time.