help with canadian rockies trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with canadian rockies trip

I Need some advice with ittinerary for our
two week trip to canadian rockies. We are
landing in Calgary and probably will spend first nite there.We are going to Banff next.
How many nights should we stay? Jasper is next, and then to Lake Louise. Should we spend 3 or 4 nights at lake louise? Back to
Calgary for 2 nights and fly home. Just don't
know how long to spend in each area to get a good overview. Suggestions would be helpful.
My question witth lake louise is I am assuming it will take us most of the day to
drive from jasper to lake louise via icefield
parkway,after hearing how much there is to see along that drive. How many nights will be sufficient for Jasper??
I want to make the most of this trip and
not cut anything short!!
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM

Check out Judy in Calgary's web site--has
most of the information you will need.

http://tinyurl.com/npoh2
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Lake Louise is not far from Banff so it's best to take Banff as your base to explore the neighbourhood.Especially Lake Moraine which in my opinion is much nicer than L.Louise.We did it in two days.Then the Columbia icefields up to Jasper is marvellous.In Jasper take 2 to 3 days.Becker chalets in Jasper is great near the river.Gourmet restaurant.Paul
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 11:26 AM

jimresp, I provided a suggested itinerary in post #7 of the following discussion thread, but I don't know if you have seen it:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34908573
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 05:14 PM

After several trips to the Canadian Rockies, I find that there is more to see and do in the Lake Louise area, which includes part of Yoho National Park on the other side of the Great Divide.

In that area there are quite a few attractions: Moraine Lake, Lake Louise, the Plain of Six Glaciers Trail, the Beehives, Takkakaw Falls (in Yoho) and Emeral Lake. (I rank Emerald a little below Moraine Lake and Lake Louise in terms of scenic appeal; Takkakaw is in a class by itself.) Depending on how much walking you want to do to see the sights, I could easily spend 2 to 3 days in the Lake Louise area. There are cabin clusters along the Bow Valley Parkway and a motel or two at Lake Louise Village. Nothing in that area is "budget priced", however.

The Icefields Parkway is a tremdous complex because of its length. There are numerous attractions, both large and small along its length. I find that Peyto Lake, Bow Lake, Mistaya Canyon, the Icefields Center and the Athatbasca Glacier to be good places for a vist.

Also, Sunwapta Falls and Athabasca Falls nearer to Jasper are worth seeing.

Once in Jasper, Maligne Lake to the east attracts visitors as does Mount Edith Cavell and the Angel Glacier.

Mt. Robson, the highest point in the Canadian Rockies is just over the line in British Columbia. It, too, is a gorgeous sight on a clear day. If you have the energy, hike as far as Kinney Lake (if clear) and gaze upwards over 8,000 feet to the summit.

Also the tram ride up to the top of the Whistler is spectacular as well.

If you have time for any hiking beyond that, my favorite walk of them all near Takkakaw Falls, but it involves a steep climb up the side of the valley to walk along the Iceline Trail.

Also, don't forget Kootenay Park which is just over Vermillion Pass from Castle Mountain. If the bridges have been rebuilt since the fires a couple or more years ago, Marble Canyon is well worth the view. It is a narrow slot canyon, some 100 meters deep and about 3 meters or less wide.