Search

Drive from Banff to Jasper

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:29 AM
koi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive from Banff to Jasper

Which sites should we see on the way from Banff to Lake Louise and then from Lake Louise to Jasper? I am reading about so many wonderful places....... I will have two days in Banff, 3 in the Lake Louise Area and two in Jasper. Just wanted to know what should not be missed on the drive.......

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Drive from Banff to Lake Louise not on the TransCanada Highway (#1 Highway) but on the Bow Valley Parkway (#1A Highway). Stop half way at Johnston Canyon and walk along the canyon until the falls.

Some distance after you've left Johnston Canyon and are heading westwards to Lake Louise there is a statue in the trees on your right. We drove past it several times without seeing it, and spotted it for the first time in September 2003. It's a memorial to the citizens of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (many of whom also were citizens of Canada) who were interred in a camp there during WW I. We'd known about the internment of Japanese Canadians during WW II, but hadn't known about the WW I internments. Sorry, I digress.

Day #1 in Lake Louise - Hike to Lake Agnes Tea House and see Moraine Lake

Day #2 in Lake Louise - See Takakkaw Falls and do a hike (there is a variety from which to choose) in Yoho National Park.

Lake Louise to Jasper - This is a full day's drive if you stop to see the sights along the way: Peyto Lake Lookout, Snocoach ride on the Athabasca Glacier at the Columbia Icefields, Sunwapta Falls and Athabasca Falls

Day #1 in Jasper - Boat ride to Spirit Island on Maligne Lake and then walk through Maligne Canyon

Day #2 in Jasper - Gondola ride up Whistler Mountain and hike from Angel Glacier at Mount Edith Cavell
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 09:55 AM

I think the ride on the glacier is fun. I did it once and never forgot it.

As for Maligne Lake, I was less than thrilled with it. If you don't have anything else to do, then do it.

Whistler is a good trip. So is Mount Edith Cavell.

If the day is clear, drive over to Mt. Robson for a view of that awesome peak.
It towers 8,000 feet up.

The falls are nice, but the highest one is not described in any of these postings. Ever hear of Takkakaw Falls?
If not, look it up.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Bob - I believe that Judy did mention Takakkaw Falls, which by the way is not on the Icefield Parkway, but some distance west of Lake Louise on the Trans Canada highway. As you said, it's worth seeing.

Along the Icefield Parkway are the two other waterfalls that Judy mentioned: Athabasca Falls and Sunwapta Falls - both are well marked and have trails and boardwalks around them.

I agree Bob that the boat ride ("cruise&quot on Maligne Lake is not exactly thrilling. There is a very pleasant trail along the lake itself, the first part is paved and flat, but you can walk further down the side of the lake on the forest path. It is just as scenic and much cheaper (i.e. - free!!).
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Forgot to mention, the boat "cruise" on Maligne Lake takes you to the southern end of the very long lake to Spirit Island, which is apparently not easily accessible any other way.
Spirit Island is an often-painted very scenic spot, and at one time graced the back of our (Canadian) 5 dollar bill (at least - I think that it was the $5).
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:40 AM
koi
Original Poster

All of this sounds great!! I am going to bring the info. with me and see as much as I can. Thanks for the input.