Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Summer Vacation 2007 VAncouver Whistler Tofino

Old May 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I would appreaciate your kind insights re: itinerary.

Best bet for inexpensive airline into Vancouver City?

8/7 fly after wrk from San Diego CA to Vancouver City. Dinner somewhere near Granvile Is Hotel
8/8 & 8/9 Vancouver sightsee restaurant sugestions Chinese and French
Buy cooler & gourmet groceries/Canadian wine for Whistler
8/10 Travel Whistler stay Westin
8/11 & 8/12 See Whistler, short easy hikes? fishing?
8/13 Travel to Tofino ?best ferry route? Reservations? place for picnic lunch enroute? sightsee? wineries?
8/13 & 8/14 & 8/15 & 8/16 Stay Long Beach resort Spa nearby? kayacking, best chance to see critters, easy hikes?
8/18 Travel to VAncouver stay 1 night somewhare special upper class? opera? night enertainment?
8/19 Travel Home San Diego early

Thank you..we are looking forward to your suggestions and some rest...

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Qantas flies from SFO to Vancouver on Wed., Fri., and Sun., from Noon until 2:00 p.m., and back at 6:00 p.m. during the summer. Their prices include a nice meal in coach. Do check this out!!! Last year, for only $125, I flew from SFO to Vancouver and received shrimp, 2 bottles of wine, a nice steak and potato and dessert.

There are many nice cheap ethnic restaurants on the Davie Street area of Vancouver. Avoid staying east of Grandville.

In Whistler, consider doing the Zip Track or White Water Rafting. Well worth it. You can relax at the beach at Lost Lake in the afternoon.

I'm staying at the University of British Columbia Hostel in Whistler which is very cheap, but I'm taking nine vacations this year.

In Tofino, there is a nice hostel (rated the highest in North America) where they have kitchen facilities and a sauna, but book early.

Consider the tour out to the hot springs. You should see a few whales along the ride.

It is quite a drive out to Tofino. Stop at the shop where the the animals are eating the grass on the roof and get ice cream.

They don't sell wine in grocery stores in BC, so you will need to find a liquor store. On the drive up to Whistler, stop to see the "falls" (there are two of them) and get the wine in Squamish.

Old May 16th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Shannon Falls has a place where you can have a picnic as does Brandyvine Falls. The best pictures along the way are in the morning because the sun is still east behind the mountains--no glare.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM

A few suggestions, 1JAR:

What time do you arrive in Vancouver on August 7th (Tues)? That will help determine restaurant suggestions.

I like Le Crocodile and Au Cafe de Paris for French restaurants. Sorry, I don't have suggestions for Chinese.

You are travelling by car to Whistler?

Lots of terrific hiking in the Whistler area - take a look at
www.tourismwhistler.com/www/plan_your_
trip/maps_and_directions.asp
(Sorry for the long URL).

I actually like Whistler better in the summer than the winter - lots of activities available and I like those warm temperatures. Take a look at the www.tourismwhistler.com site under "Things To Do" and "Summer" and you'll see a list to help with your planning.

To travel from Whistler to Tofino on Mon, Aug 13th, you'll drive on Hwy 1 back to Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver, and take the ferry to Departure Bay in Nanaimo. Summer travel on ferries can be congested and I always book a reservation. It costs CAD $17 (I think) and to my mind it is worth it. Look to the B.C. Ferries site www.bcferries.bc.ca/ for schedules and reservations.

Lots of things to do in the Tofino area. I'd start with your hotel's website which nicely lays out activities and contact info.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "somewhere special upper class" but you could check out the Wedgewood Hotel & Spa on Hornby for a boutique-style hotel; the Fairmont Waterfront for a much larger hotel near the water; the Westin Bayshore, again a larger hotel with a wonderful location near Stanley Park and on the water. Check out T.A. for others which might appeal.

For a "cultural" evening, google "Bard on the Beach" where four Shakespeare plays are offered this year, in a tent with a gorgeous waterview backdrop. No opera or symphony productions in August - the new season won't start until the fall.

For splashy dinners - depends on what you like and how much you want to spend but "C", West, Lumiere and Raincity Grill are generally well-regarded. Take a look at www.vanmag.com/ for an overview of Vancouver restaurants.

Have a great trip!
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Why not consider flying into Seattle instead, and driving up to Vancouver? That's what we usually do when heading to Vancouver from Orlando. Southwest has some really inexpensive flights today -- I just checked their website, and San Diego to Seattle on August 8 is $95-99. The return trip is the same, depending on the flight.

Personally, I find it easier to get through Customs in a car then by plane. And the drive really isn't too bad -- according to AAA, about 2-1/2 hours from the airport to Vancouver (non-rush hour)
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone..such nice posters and helpful too.

We are arriving into VAncouver at about 3:00 pm on 8/7 so we should have lots of time. So any and all restaurant
suggestions would be welcome.

Will keep the airlines for next time: we had to book today with United...not too bad for direct flights 400.00 each..

Old May 17th, 2007, 03:03 AM

Consider taking a bus downtown and picking up the rental car downtown (not at the airport) when you drive up to Whistler. There isn't too many places to park a car in downtown Vancouver. Avis has a rental place right downtown.

I enjoy walking down Davie Street and there are so many good restaurants along the street. Vancouver is 30% Chinese, so you should have no trouble finding ethnic foods.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Wally..we did the same thing with Avis in Portland OR and really did save money..

I noticed I made a mistake in the itinerary..

we have 2 nights to stay somewhere at the end of the trip after last night in Tofino:::

8/17 Saturday 1 night any recomendations to stay other than Tofino on VAncouver Island or drive? sightsee?
We've been to Victoria before but not the VAncouver Is East Coast? Should we stay in Victoria 1 night (where?) and take the Victoria VAncouver City ferry over or drive East Coast stay someplace and take the Nanaimo ferry back?
8/18 1 night stay VAncouver downtown or at Airport (flight leaves at *;30 am..have to RTn car, customs etc

Old May 17th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:53 AM

There is always a lot to do in Victoria. I went out on the high speed boats to see the whales. There are many good places to eat. After Tofino, you might want to see some city life. I found a few good buys shopping at The Bay.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM

Since you've been to Victoria before, you could stay somewhere on Rathtrevor Beach, outside of Parksville. It's a pretty beach, very shallow, lovely for walking. Try googling Tigh-na-Mara and Parksville + Accommodations, but make sure your choice is on Rathtrevor and not in Parksville itself.

No matter where you choose, you'll want to act on it quickly. The good spots on Rathtrevor fill up very quickly.

If you have a very early return flight, stay at the Fairmont Airport Hotel, located right in the terminal. Quiet, easeful, and I think there is a spa in the hotel. You could cab in to Richmond for a good Chinese dinner.

Have a great trip.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank youeveryone for teh help and kin suggestions. We did just by teh skin of our knickers make resv in time for Long Beach Lodge.

Wil definately look at teh last 2 sugestions to fill in the trip..

Was wondering if you could advise on the names of grocery stores taht are bargain or low cost..we usually buy things like a paring knife for fruit and a few apper paltes, paper towels for and a cooler for picnics....

Also when we visited NEw Zealand we bought the most delicious packaged english cookies..since I like my cookies I wonder if you have any suggestions on brands?
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:18 PM

If your staying at the Granville Island Hotel you will be able to buy your food and small utencils, etc., right at the market at Granville Island. There is also a few high end wine stores inside the market where you can pick up a few things before heading to Whistler.

Your trip sounds great! Hope you have a lovely time.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:40 AM

Hi, we are doing almost the same trip a couple of weeks later (see my post)even staying in some of the same hotels!. I just wanted to mention that I booked the ferry Departure bay- Horseshoe bay yesterday and a lot of the crossings were already booked up and so unavailable. Maybe it is because of sunday but if I were you I would definitely check it out soon. Have a great time!