Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Suggestions please for Richmond Hill/Markham/North Toronto restaurant - anniversary dinner?

Search

Suggestions please for Richmond Hill/Markham/North Toronto restaurant - anniversary dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:56 AM
nkh
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A request for North Toronto "foodies"!

We are looking for a romantic restaurant within 20 minutes or so drive of Richmond Hill (north of Toronto up Yonge St.) to have a Thursday night (4th) anniversary dinner.

Since this is not 5, 10, 25th anniversary etc. we do not want to have an extremely extravagant meal (defined by us as, e.g., 3-course meal at Scaramouche with at least a glass each of wine) but dont mind being a bit extravagant for good food in the right atmosphere.

We enjoy all varieties of food but are probably looking for Classic French or European, Italian, perhaps Thai or fusions of anything in between (any other ideas welcome!). We would prefer not to have sushi for this meal.

We are both enthusiastic cooks and when we go to a nice restaurant like to be able to eat things we are unlikely or unable to prepare ourselves. We tend to enjoy "cozy" romantic instead of stark modern surroundings.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:33 AM
wow

How about Auberge du Pommier? (West side of Yonge just South of 401)
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 04:57 PM

The Octagon Restaraunt on Yonge street in Thornhill is excellent but won't be cheap.

Good Luck
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:08 AM
nkh
Original Poster

Thanks for replies - we had considered the Octagon since we go to the Farmers Market next door regularly.

Auberge du Pommier is also on our "must go sometime" restaurant list.

The final decision is with my husband so I get some surprise (very sweet, I thought ). I have passed both of these along and look forward to wherever it is we are going!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 02:20 PM

The Octagon is such a great "old-fashioned" steak house. Great food, crusty Greek waiters, excellent wine list. But it's big bucks, at least the same price range as Scaramouche. But, if you're thinking of this league then I'd add Terra, which is excellent too. Happy Anniversary.