sooke

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sooke

We're considering staying a couple of nights at the Roche Cove llama Farm in Sooke with our 7-yr-old and 11-yr-old. Does anyone know this inn? Also, any reasonably-priced restaurants for lunch and dinner? Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM

We live in Sooke and have driven past the Roche Cove place numerous times. It's actually in East Sooke which is quite a distance from Sooke itself, and although it's a very beautiful area, it's quite isolated. To be quite honest we weren't very impressed with the Llama Farm. We drove up the driveway one day to have a look, and the llamas seemed messy and neglected, as did the rest of the place. I don't think I would stay there.

There are lots of reasonably-priced restaurants in the Sooke area, and one lovely little lunch spot in East Sooke called the Smoking Tuna, on Beecher Bay Road. In Sooke, there's Stone Pipe Landing, which is reasonably priced and the food is very good. It's a pretty general menu - pasta, salads, burgers, etc. There's a place called the Fish Trap that has the absolutely best fish and chips we've ever eaten. They have other stuff too in case you're dining with somebody who doesn't like fish. We haven't tried anything other than their specialty, but it's incredibly good. There's also a newer restaurant that has opened further out of town (closer to East Sooke) called Fuse Waterfront Grill. I think it's a bit pricier than the other two I mentioned but not insanely expensive, and I've heard that the food is great; we haven't been there yet.
About 20 minutes or so from Sooke, you get into Langford, and another 10 minutes takes you into Colwood. Both have lots of chain restaurants (Boston Pizza, etc.) that are pleasant enough. In Metchosin, which is the next town over from Sooke, there is a very nice restaurant called the My Chosen Cafe - excellent food, good prices, kid-friendly, and has a petting zoo in the back.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM

We have just returned to the UK from a week in Sooke with our 2 yer old and I would back up the other comment about East Sooke it looks close to Sooke but it is 20 minutes of winding roads with no stores close by.

We did not see the Llama farm but stayed at Wiffin Spit holiday cottage - it ws on the beach 2 minutes from Sooke and I would look no further.

During the week we saw 10 sea otters in one group, seals everywhere, deer, eagles, 2 brown bears (from the car), racoons, herons, huge purple star fish etc etc

Eating out is genuinely suberb and we are used to Cape Cod but are simply not enough restaurants. Smokin Tuna, Point No Point and Sooke Harbour House are all good. Smokin Tuna has its own resident seal that eats fish from your hand.

This is a great place for children without having to rough it in the wilds of BC.

I really am not sure abou the logic of LLama farm stay as wildlife is absolutely everywhere.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Point No Point is a wonderful restaurant, but very pricy and not at all kid-friendly; if you have an opportunity for an evening out, it's lovely, but I don't think it's what you're looking for. Sooke Harbour House is incredibly expensive. We can only afford to eat there off-season when they have fixed-price specials for local residents; again, I don't think that's what you're looking for. There are LOTS of restaurants in the area, as I explained in my earlier post. Perhaps the other poster was looking for something a little more elegant.

Whiffin Spit is only 2 kilometres from town (and about a stone's throw from our house) and there is a b&b right at the top of the street, as well as the place they're referring to down on the beach.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:05 PM

P-n-P's resto is so small and the
tables so close I would think the
kids would be v. confined!

And the SHH menu is (IMHO) most
definately not for children.
Well, unless they are extremely
worldly and adventurous - and
pricey for sure!!
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I m wondering whether I stayed in the same town! Between these posts I think we have named all the restaurants and my 2 year old ate at P N P and SHH.

For older children P N P has an absolutely stunning view and provide looking glasses on each table for whale watching (even if they are very rare). We saw seal literally surfing on the swell on the beach below.

The menu is expensive compared to BurgerKing!
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM

I'm glad your little one enjoyed Point No Point; we go there from time to time and haven't had the feeling that our grandkids would enjoy it as much as some of the places in town like Stone Pipe Grill (sorry, I mis-named it in my first post - it's had a new incarnation recently). I don't think that Stone Pipe Grill, the Fish Trap, or any of the others that I mentioned are on a par with Burger King and I don't particularly appreciate the feeling that I'm being sniped at either.