Skiing single in Banff?

Old Oct 1st, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skiing single in Banff?

I am planning a Ski trip to Banff in mid-end January. I have been the last two years and always stayed at the super romantic places (Fairmounts)with a friend- so I never really saw much of the scene for singles.

Any advice on where to stay in Banff during that time where I am likely to meet up with other single skiers, or groups of single skiers (in thier 30's)? Any hotels offer 'Monday meet and greets' or something for the new arrivals?

Or am I likley to be the odd guy out as a single skier? (not that that would stop me from going, the place is just too amazing to pass up!)

Thanks.

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:23 AM
ltt

not sure if you'd consider a hostel but that would be the best place to meet single people. the ones in banff are suppose to be good and the one in lake louise gets great reviews.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:16 PM

Banff attracts a large amount of international backpackers who have come to Canada to work at a ski resort on a temporary working holiday visa. This means lots of people in their 20's from Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and other countries that have a mutual working holiday visa agreement.

While that's somewhat a bit under your age requirements, you'll find a lot of solo skiiers in Banff, likely at the hostels and the pubs. However, it's likely not the kind of demographic you were looking for... but solo skiiers are there in droves!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:30 AM

which Fairmont do you stay at? I would like to stay at the one closet to the skiing. thanks
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:21 AM

The Fairmont in Banff is a very nice and upscale hotel - but it is not as likely to draw in alot of 30-somethings working their way through the ski season. Hostels are definately the way to go.

On the skiing side of things I recommend Lake Louise (my personal favoirte). Many people really enjoy Sunshine ski resort as well, but I have always found this a very cold and windy hill and the bottom half of the mountain becomes very repetitive. On a busy day the ski out will make you fear for your life at Sunshine (really).

Have a great trip!!

Murphy (Canada).
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Oh also (sorry, I got a bit sidetracked there), you could try going to Banff with a group in the first place. I'm not sure where you are from, but lots of Universities and mountainerring groups plan ski trips that are open to anyone who would like to participate. For example, in Edmonton (AB), the Grant MacEwan Mountain Club plans trips - any member can sign up (and anyone can become a member). These clubs may be based out of a college but participants are often professionals and individuals from all walks of life. Also Mountain Equipment Co-op, often has lots of information of on local groups that are planning a winter getaway.

Hope that helps.

Murphy.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 07:35 PM

MrPete

I am having the same trouble. I am a very good skier and have nobody to go with. maybe we should chat?

Courtney in Chicago
[email protected]
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:29 PM

The Chicago Mteropolitan Ski Council (http://www.skicmsc.com)is an umbrella organization of a bunch of ski clubs in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin.

We've sometimes joined a club just to go on a trip and have found the people very friendly and welcoming.

Each club is listed on the website and you can search the individual club's trips by club or by date.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:06 AM

Well i'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one going to Banff as a single! This will be my first time skiing and have booked it through SkiBig3. Though i've also booked skiing lessons through them I have a feeling people in my group may be a lot older or a lot younger than myself.

I'll be staying at the Banff Park Lodge in mid-December, and was wondering if anyone could recommend good bars, where single skiers (in their 20's) like myself hang out? Also wanted to try line dancing, does anyone know where a good bar is?

Cheers

Yaz (United Kingdom)

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Wild Bill's Saloon on Banff Avenue may have line dancing. As a female on my own, I went in (solely to line dance which never happened with no explanation) and found the male staff complete pigs but maybe you'll have better luck.

Aside from this bar, I love Banff in any season.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:31 PM

I would try staying at a hostel in Banff, there is the International Hostel which I know that they have music nights and other activities, you should be able to meet alot of people there alot of who are working in Banff. The other hostels have similar sets up.