Reload this Page >

Skiing in Lake Louise/Banff over Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Waverley

We left the planning for our family ski trip over Christmas vacation late this year, so I am palying catch up.<BR><BR>My husband and teenage sons are expert skiers and like to try different ski resortsin Canada and Colorado. I don't ski but can entertain myself in many ways, including sight seeing , shopping and just relaxing.<BR><BR>We are looking at Lake Louise at this time as I have always wanted to go there in summer but have not made it yet.<BR><BR>My questions are:<BR><BR>Is the skiing expert enough to satisfy the avid skiiers in our famiy for 3- 4 days?<BR><BR>Should we spend some time in Lake Louise (say 3 days skiing and sightseeing and then move to Banff for 2-3 days of the same?<BR><BR>Is there much available in the winter in terms of sightseeing or are too many roads closed.<BR><BR>Is Lake Louise still as specatacular when it is covered in ice?<BR><BR>I have read through different posts regarding accommodation and would like any more recommendations.<BR><BR>We prefer condos but also enjoy hotels with amenenities. Obviously Christmas time is expensive and are willing to pay a bit more for good accommodation, but also enjoy "value for money"!<BR><BR>if you can answer any of these questions or give any advice that you think would be of value, I would really appreciate it.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Stuart

Hi!<BR>I have lived here for twenty years......<BR><BR>I suggest 2-3 days in Lake Louise and 2-3 days in Banff for the skiing. Dress warm! It can be very mild and then again it can be very cold.<BR><BR>There is lots to do here all year round. Go to www.banfflakelouise.com<BR><BR>I suggest you talk to White Mountain Tours, Alpine helicopters, and Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours. Lots of shopping too.<BR><BR>Lake louise is beautiful all of the time!<BR>Accommodations: Lake Louise Inn, Baker Creek Chalets, or Chateau Lake Louise<BR><BR>Banff; Douglas Fir Resort (water slide and kitchens) Tunnel Mnt. Chalets, or the Banff Springs Hotel.<BR><BR>Anything else?<BR><BR>Blessings,<BR><BR>Stuart &lt;&gt;&lt;

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 10:04 AM
x

i might consider just a couple of nights in lake louise (they could ski 2 full days) and then go to banff. lake louise is lovely but if it is cold out, you, the non-skier might run out of things to do. in banff, you'd have more choices. skiing lake louise is fabulous, sunshine is worth a day or two and then a hill i've never been to cause it is is more for expert runs is norquey. above suggestions for hotels are good although the banff springs is VERY pricey.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Waverley

Thanks for the information so far. <BR>I am looking into the recommendations.<BR>What are your opinions on the Post Hotel in Lake Louise and the Hidden Ridge Resort in Banff.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Stuart

The Post hotel in Lake louise is very nice, and therefore more money than the Lake Louise Inn.<BR><BR>I would pick Douglas Fir Resort and Tunnel Mountain Chalets over Hidden Ridge, but that is just my own preference.<BR><BR>The Banff Springs is not pricey if you are paying in U.S. dollars. It is a beautiful Hotel and I recomend it.<BR><BR>Blessings,<BR><BR>Stuart &lt;&gt;&lt;

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 02:09 PM
x

the post hotel is great if that's in your budget. good location too.