Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should we stop at Niagara Falls on our way home?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2004, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We live in metro Detroit and are taking a family trip to Montreal and Quebec City leaving July 3rd. We'll be driving and spending a few days in each place and then leaving Saturday, July 10th to return home. My daughter is a little unhappy with the last part of the plan since July 10th is her 18th birthday and she doesn't think spending 12 hours in the car that day sounds like much fun. So I'm considering breaking up the trip by stopping at Niagara Falls for the night. Leaving Quebec City around 8 am that day would get us into Niagara around 5 or 6 and we'd have to be back on the road the next afternoon by 3 or 4, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'd appreciate any comments or any suggestions of other places we could stop at for the night that might give her a little fun on her birthday. Also, if we do make the Niagara stop, any hotel suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like something $250 a night USD or less. Thanks.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 12:47 PM

Yes, i think it would be a fun stop for all of you. We just returned from two nights there with our teens and we all had a great time.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 07:38 PM

Yes, it's worth it. Only add about 2 hours of driving time total, or even a little less.

If you want a hotel room with a great view of the falls, I'd say the Marriott Fallsview. Hotels in Canada are generally cheaper than in the US, so $250 should get you a good room.

For example, on Marriott's website, you can book a lower level room with Falls view for C$299, or higher floor ones for ~C$350. Within your budget. For 7/9.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 08:17 PM

By all means stop, and stay in the Clifton Hill area (on the Canadian side), which has alot going on, perhaps touristy, but at least alot of people out walking and restaurants. It also puts you right where you can walk along the Falls at night and enjoy them lit up. The Maid of the Mist tour in the morning will be well worth it too.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:50 AM

There's always something to say for a bit of unplanned excursions outside one's itinerary - adds a bit of adventure. Plus, breaking up a long drive to relax and take in a few hours of scenic touring also is a plus. Have a safe and fun trip!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. We have decided to make the stop and I booked the Comfort Inn Clifton Hill for one night after reading good reviews on trip advisor.