Search

Seattle, Victoria, Tofino Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle, Victoria, Tofino Advice Needed

Hi all,

Flying in/out of Seatac, renting car. BFF and I have 8 days to do the following:

2 days w/ friend in Everett, WA (we've both been to Seattle before)

1 day - lavendar fields in Sequim

1 or 2 days - Victoria, mainly to see Buchard Gardens

3 days - Tofino

Questions: any suggestions for order of destinations? Just wondering if it makes a difference with the whole ferry thing. I know we need ferry res in advance.

Given that Tofino is a 5 hr drive from Victoria, is 3 days worthwhile, or would we need longer? Probably just do a little hiking, strolling, maybe a whale watching trip.

Any other suggestions for activities along the way, restaurants, and lodging appreciated!

Thanks, Fodorites
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:15 AM

That'll work--but how are you planning to get back to Seattle from Tofino? Will you do it in 1 day? It's about an 8-9 hour trip--broken up nicely by the ferry ride from Nanaimo to Tsawwassen in the middle, but it definitely makes for a long day. Are you planning to spend the last night back in Seattle before flying out?

3 nights (2 full days) is the minimum amount of time I would recommend for Tofino since it takes a while to get there and back plus it's just a wonderful place with lots to do as well as a beautiful place to just kick back and do nothing but look at the ocean.

If you need to take a night off somewhere, I'd spend just one night in Victoria.

What's your price range for accommodations and what type of places do you like? I'm not sure what BFF stands for...so whether you'll need one bed or two will affect where you stay to a certain degree (many B&Bs ony have rooms with one queen or kind bed, for example).
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi NW,

BFF = best female friend, we travel together well, thank goodness! So we'll be looking for either hotels w/ 2 queens, or a B&B with twins. I've seen a few, but not many.

I was kind of thinking at this point:

2 nts with Everett friend can go at the beginning or the end of trip.

1 nt in either Sequim, Port Townsend, or Port Angeles. I understand lodging options in Sequim are limited and we're a little late planning.

Ferry to Victoria, via Port Angeles?

1 nt Victoria - main objective the gardens, but would also like to see the BC museum - native peoples exhibits

3 - 4 nts Tofino since it's a long drive...

Like to stay nice places and do like nice B&Bs, but don't need extremely luxurious. Probably want to keep it about $130 nt/US $.

Thanks for any help! I've been looking for lodging around the web, but haven't tried specific dates so far.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Oops,

Make that order ferry to Victoria and drive straight to Tofino. Do Victoria last?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM

When are you coming? Your budget is going to be on the low side for the summer months. Are you talking about being in Sequim for the Lavendar Festival in July, or are you just planning on seeing the lavendar fields?

And as far as which order you do it in, I don't think it really matters, unless maybe going one way puts you in a busy destination on a weekend (e.g. Sequim for the Lavendar Festival) and going the other way avoids that. But you definitely want to take the Nanaimo/Tsawwassen ferry if you're doing Tofino/Seattle area in one day--it will take you quite a bit of time.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM

I meant to say taking that ferry will SAVE you quite a bit of time!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we did want to go to the Lavendar Festival. I was seeing lodging for around that price, you think we would have to spend considerably more?

Hmmm, might have to bag this trip!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:09 PM

No, not necessarily *much* higher, but $130 does strike me as on the low side for summer for a nice place (I would think they'd average more in the $150-200 range). It looks like my favorite place to stay in Sequim, the Juan de Fuca cottages, is booked up in their cottages with 2 beds for the Friday and Sat night of the Festival but not right before and after. Their summer rate is $140, so a little higher that your budget but not too bad.

My favorite place in Tofino is the Middle Beach Lodge and while they have some moderately-priced rooms with 2 beds, unfortunately they face the forest not the ocean. So when I stayed there with a female friend, we splurged for a duplex cabin with a bed upstairs in the loft so that one of us didn't have to sleep on a sofa bed. I think it's well worth the splurge (I think it'll be mid-200s CDN for the cabin) but you'll have to have a look and see what you think.

Anyway, if you want to post the places you're considering staying, we can give you feedback.

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks Wanderer,

I've been searching more on the web and am finding places that are more in my range. When I have some possibilities, I'll post again. I appreiciate your advice!