Search

Vancouver Island and Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver Island and Seattle

Hi!

We are planning to attend a family event in Duncan on Vancouver Island in June. We want to take some additional days to see the island and Seattle.

We are a couple in our 50s traveling with parents in their 80s. Here is our tentative schedule. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

3 nights Duncan
1 night Tofino
2 nights Victoria
2 nights Seattle

Planning to see:

Butchart Gardens
Sooke Harbor
Vineyards around Duncan
Pacific Rim National Park

We have an extra day, but don’t know if we should add it to Victoria or Seattle.

Also, what ferry should we take from Seattle to Victoria?

Does anyone have any preference as to car rental agencies in Canada?

Thanks.

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM

hi there,
if u r travelling w/o a car from victoria to seattle, the best plan would be to take the victoria clipper.

plenty of the normal range of car rentalk agencies on the island. check on travelocity.com to see who is offering the best deal and then call or go to that companies website.
w/ the drive between duncan and tofino 3.5 hrs or so and the drive back to victoria an extra hour u might want to add that extra night to tofino.
in victoria u might also see the royalbc museum and craigdarroch castle. if u r garden fans u would probably like the small abkhazi garden in town

cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:10 AM

I would definitely add the extra day to Tofino. Many B&Bs require a two-night minimum stay in any case, but quite apart from that, it's a beautiful region and well worth an extra night. In June it will be particularly gorgeous: long walks on the beach, hours and hours and hours of sunlight (until about 10 p.m.)...we haven't been over that way for two years, and just thinking about it makes me long to go again.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 07:55 AM

If you're going to go to Tofino, go for at least 3 nights--I don't think it's worth the long trip otherwise and *definitely* not just for one night. I'd add the extra night to Tofino and take one away from Victoria.

Which ferry you take to Seattle depends on whether you'll have a car at that point. The Victoria Clipper is the passenger-only option. If you will have a car, then of the 3 car ferry options, I'd go for the Coho to Port Angeles--you could see a bit of Olympic National Park on your way to Seattle that way.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I'm with NWWanderer and Vorkuta. Victoria is smaller than what you might have imagined and I think that you'll wish that you had budgeted more time in Tofino.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM

I'm with the others - add more time to Tofino. I wouldn't spend the little time you have going to Sooke.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:33 PM

I think some are failing to notice that you are traveling with octogenarians. I can't see beach walking and forest strolling appealing to them for 3 days and truly there is little else to do .. a couple of modest galleries and one or two fine restaurants and of course bed.

Can you deduct a day from Duncan because actually it is only one hour north of Victoria and stay an extra day in Victoria? Also consider that you will lose almost half a day in travel time both to and from the island.

Victoria does have beautiful gardens Butchart and Abkhazi as have been mentioned, theatre, concert venues, a museum rated among the top 10 small museums in North America and a vibrant music scene:

Jazz at the Empress Friday and Saturday nights, and at Vista 18 Thursday and Saturday nights and at Pag's Sundays through Wednesdays,
Victoria has more restaurants per capita than ANY Canadian city.

And it is an absolutely beautiful small city .. consider a bus tour Grayline or Big Bus. (Or hire a stretch sedan and get a private tour for not much more ... heck!)

There are street performers in the summertime, a variety of festivals ... Check www.city.victoria.bc.ca
and click on tourist information or try www.tourismvictoria.com

Try DiscountCar for weekly rates also Budget ... both are in the downtown area.

Happy Planning

Binners
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Given that it takes basically a day to travel to and from Tofino, they would only have 2 days there if they spend 3 nights. I just don't think it's worth the drive to spend less time. If their parents aren't interested in the type of things Tofino has to offer, then maybe they need to rethink going to Tofino at all.

I didn't want to make any assumptions about their parents' activity level. But even if they are not very active, there are few places in the NW I'd rather sit on a deck or in front of a window and just *relax* than Tofino.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:28 AM

While in Tofino, make it a point to visit the Roy Henry Vickers' gallery on the main drag (can't miss it...looks like an Indian long-house). Absolutely stunning prints. We couldn't leave without buying one, and deciding which one was very difficult.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Agreed, Bob...I was just looking at my Vickers print yesterday and thinking fond thoughts of Tofino!

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input. It was greatly appreciated.

We have now decided on the following schedule:
Duncan for 2 days
Tofino for 2
Victoria for 3
Seattle for 2.

We will fly from Seattle to Victoria and then rent a car.

While the parents are active, they will not be able to do the hiking and kayaking and such (good point, thanks for pointing this out).

Again, thank you.

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Hello.

We are back from Vancouver Island and I wanted to report on our trip.

We took Horizon from Seattle to Victoria and rented a car at National.

We were in Duncan/Maple Bay for 2 days and it was a great area to explore. We explored Cowichan Bay, Maple Bay and some of the vineyards, including Cherry Point and Merridale Estate Cidery. We had a delicious lunch at Merridale Estate. Did lots of tasting at Cherry Point.

Cowichan Bay was particularly amazing. That little village contained Hilary’s Cheese & Deli (the cheese was also presented at many of the restaurants where we ate), True Grain Bread & Mill and Rock Cod Café (did not try ourselves, but received an excellent recommendation) all within walking distance of one another.

We then drove from Maple Bay to Ucluelet. The drive from Duncan to Ucluelet was much too long. EF1941 was right. While the parents are active, they were not able to do hiking and kayaking. We did walk through Cathedra Grove which was interesting.

We stayed at the Tauca Lea in Ucluelet. I think if we stayed around Tofino we could have done more beach walking. The accommodations at Tauca Lea were modern, clean and comfortable. There are not a lot of eating places in Tofino. We had dinner at the Boat Basin which was very good. Tauca Lea also provides a Continental breakfast at the Boat Basin which was tasty and convenient.

Victoria was great. We went to Butchart Gardens which was one of the most beautiful gardens that I have ever seen. It was amazing that this garden came out of a quarry and it inspired me to work on our garden at home.

We stayed at the Oak Bay Guest House which was a bit out of the way. However, for anyone who has a car, this was a great place to stay. The owner, Elge, was the nicest person and really made our stay extremely pleasant. The room was comfortable, quiet, nicely decorated and clean. Breakfast was included and very good.

We went to the Royal BC Museum. I particularly enjoyed the exhibit on War Brides by Bev Tosh. Very informative and moving exhibit about the war brides from WWII who came to Canada to live. http://www.bcarchives.bc.ca/Exhibit_...ar_Brides.aspx

We had tea at the White Heather. We saw the Tall Ships in the Inner Harbor and we were able to see The Bounty (from the Marlon Brando version of Mutiny on the Bounty) actually sail into the harbor.

We had drinks in the Bengal Room of the Empress Hotel. It looked like a scene out of colonial India. Wish we had tried the Indian food because it smelled delicious.

One night we had dinner at Café Brio and the meal was delicious. Another night we ate at Blight’s Bistro and another at the Marina.

Then, we just ran out of time.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Glad to hear you had a great time and that you actually ate at one of my favorite restaurants (Blighty's Bistro). I have never had a bad meal there, hope it was that way for you too. Too bad you didn't have the curry buffet in the Bengal Room, it is fantastic. Guess you'll just have to plan for a future visit.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Cruiseryyc. We will definitely have the buffet @ at the Bengal Room the next time we are in Victoria. And, BTW, my mother-in-law had a veal shank at Blighty's that was so tender the meat just fell off the bone. Again, thanks.