Seattle to Victoria by car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is the quickest way from Seattle to Victoria (flying in this Saturday at 10:30 am into Seattle) and renting a car at the SEA TAC airport.

Also, any good food suggestions for Victoria? we love breakfast and dinner at local quaint places. thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:11 AM

Washington State Ferry has a departure from Anacortes at 2pm, getting you to Sidney at around 5pm.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/visi...ravel_victoria

The ferry trip is longer than the Tsawwassen, but you save some driving and skip the I-5 border crossing, which may be slow at times.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:08 AM

I agree with rkkwan about the Anacortes ferry. It is not only easier but the scenery is gorgeous. The weather is going to be beautiful on Saturday so it will be a spectacular crossing.

My favourite Victoria restaurants are L'Ecole Brasserie on Government and Il Terrazzo in a square just off Wharf Street. Anyone can give you directions. Park your car and walk. For breakfast something a little different but delicious and perhaps heavy on the carbs is the de Dutch Pannekoek house on Johnson. It is a traditional Dutch pancake baked in a pan with any kind of filling sweet or savoury. You have to try them!!

Enjoy your visit.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:34 PM
je

Recommend you check the schedule for the Anacortes ferry. We flew in at about the same time and would not have made the 2 PM deparure due to Seattle traffic. Perhaps Saturday is a little better since it was a weekday for us. Wound up going to Tsawwassen and made the 4 PM ferry with a little time to spare. Willies Bakery was recommended for breakfast and it was great. Second the recommendation for L'Ecole.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

je - the bakery sounds good and might have a good cappuccino too?! will try the pancake place too.

thanks traveller69 & rkkwan, I made reservations for the Anacortes ferry - so I hope we make it to the 2pm departure! yikes. but I do have a lead foot...
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:57 AM
je

sofun 1 - great cappuccino at Willie's and the breakfast selections are equal. Grilled tomatoes and smoked salmon - hadn't had the combination before but loved it.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 04:01 PM

You should be OK on Saturday as far as traffic goes and you have a reservation so I think it will be just fine. The pancake restaurant I told you about serves wonderful breakfasts as well but the panekoeks are something really delicious and different. Here is a website for them - you can read the menu and drool http://www.geocities.com/dedutchvictoria/BP.html

I hope you have a wonderful visit to our beautiful city.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM

de Dutch Pannekoek House (http://www.dedutch.com/index2.html) is somewhat of an obsession of ours. We live in the Central Florida area. A friend of ours took us to a little hole-in the-wall De Dutch in West Vancouver a few years ago. On our next trip, we scoured the area, finally stopping to query a taxi driver, to revisit the spot. This September, we are planning a 2-1/2 week trip from Victoria to Banff and return to Vancouver. As you might expect, I have made plans around visiting a De Dutch at least 3 times (and then skipping lunch, what a treat!). I know there is really great food in Victoria, but you might want to make time for De Dutch...
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Hi sludick - here we are again! There are two pannekoek restaurants in Victoria but the closet one for you is on Johnson St in the Best Western. Enjoy!!! As I said on the other post I am looking forward to your report.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:31 AM

And I hope it is a beautiful day for you, and weekend as well! This will be a fairly long trip, so I'll be writing my trip report as I go. Thanks for everything. (We arrive around 11:30 am, and are planning the Tsawwassen ferry, as we're not sure how long we may be held up in traffic and there are several viable departure times.)