Victoria Clipper /WS Ferry

Feb 10th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Victoria Clipper /WS Ferry

After reading many posts on the Victoria Clipper that it could be rough sometimes, should I be worried as well on the WS Ferry from Anacortes to Sidney. I am not familiar with the waters on the westcoast. I get motion sickness very easy and just want to know in advance what to expect. I have heard the ferry from Anacortes on the WS Ferry is long, but a beautiful route.
Any information and warnings would be great!
Thanks!
Feb 10th, 2005, 10:14 PM

I haven't heard of people having trouble with the Clipper or the ferry from Anacortes. That said, the Clipper which goes from Seattle to Victoria, has to pass through the Strait of Juan de Fuca, which can be rough. The ferry from Anacortes to Sidney goes through waters that are more sheltered, and consequently less likely to be perturbed (in my opinion!).
Feb 11th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your post. I didn't think there would be an issue with either until I read several posts from people saying they had gotten sick on the Clipper. I feel relieved knowing it's not likely on the WS Ferry because it is a three hour ride.
Feb 12th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Asside from the amount of motion you'll feel between these two modes.....you may need to think about making your choice based on where you are intending to go. You can always take a motion sickness prevention pill before going on either. Just remember or be aware that the Clipper gets you into the heart of the City of Victoria - without a car, but the ferry takes you to Sydney where you'll need a car or bus or someone to pick you up. One other comment. If you do decide on the Clipper, but have a flight to catch on your return to Seattle - make sure you leave yourself lots of time. One reason (there are others)I do not travel on the Clipper -- it takes sooo long to get through customs in Seattle and when you eventually do, you have to fight for a taxi - so few for so many. If I have lots of time and a car -- I love the Anacortes Ferry because of the scenery and relaxing pace, if I'm short on time -- I fly - check out Kenmore Air - downtown Seattle to downtown Victoria - very handy! Whatever you choose -- enjoy!
Feb 12th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

onthegogo:
We are taking the WS ferry to Sidney and staying in Victoria for three days and then going to the San Juan Islands and staying there for five days. If I didn't need a car I would definitely fly. Fast and scenic and heard wonderful experiences going by air. Not taking the Clipper because we need our car. We plan on taking the WS Ferry and I wanted to know how are customs in Sidney? Just as bad as the Clipper into Victoria or does it not matter? Just want to know what to expect. Thanks!
Feb 12th, 2005, 11:12 PM

In my experience, going into Canada is simple for US citizens. They ask a few questions when you arrive and you are on your way.

On the return, you have to fill out a customs declaration form and queue up for customs and immigration. Some cars are searched. It took us 1/2 hour in line to clear customs in Pt. Angeles, and we were about midway in the line of cars getting off the ferry and our car was not searched.

Be sure to have your passport or photo id and a certified copy of your birth certificate. OR ELSE... GUANTANAMO?
Feb 16th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Orcas:
Thanks for the security tips going into Canada. Also want to mention that I really enjoy reading your informative posts on Vancouver Island and the San Juan Islands. Reading your posts got me to research Vancouver Island and it looks like a wonderful place to visit for adults and children. After reading all about VI, I just had to include it in our summer vacation plans. We are now going to VI and the SJI with most of the time at VI. I think this is going to be a great mix of activities instead of staying for one week on just SJI. We live outside Seattle so if we really like the SJIs, we could always go back and spend more time there in the future.
Thanks again for all your posts!
Feb 17th, 2005, 06:00 AM
ALF

FYI,
The Victoria Clipper is a small, lightweight passenger-only catamaran designed for speed. The WA State Anacortes-Sidney ferry is a far larger vehicle transport ferry designed for maximum capacity. The Anacortes-Sidney route is also generally more protected (from big waves) than the Seattle-Victoria route. If you tend toward seasickness, the WA State ferry will be a far better choice. I have been on the Victoria Clipper when several people 'lost their lunch'. This would be an extremely rare occurrence on the Anacortes ferry.

If you are driving, another choice is to go to Tsawwassen, just south of Vancouver. From there, you can take a BC ferry to Swartz Bay, on Vancouver Island. From there, it is a short drive to Victoria. The advantage of this ferry is that it runs frequently (every two hours, starting @ 7am).
Feb 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

ALF: Yes, I found out from reading many posts on this forum that I could drive to Vancouver (approx. 3 hours) and take the bc ferry from Vancouver/Tsawwassen. I just wish I knew if it would be easier to go through customs in Vancouver/Tsawwassen mainlaind side or if taking the ferry from Anacortes and going through customs on that end is more of a headache. I am traveling with a five year old so trying to make the best choice. I was advised that it is easier for US Citizens to go into Canada than the other way around so hopefully whatever choice I make, it will go smooth going through customs.