robson & Pan Pacific

Sep 25th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

robson & Pan Pacific

Can people tell me how one could go easily from the Pan Pacific to Robson Street shopping area? Skytrain? bus? walk?

Plan to be in Vancouver late November, would like to stay at Pan Pacific, instead of Wedgewood, based on the discussion here (for the once in a lifetime view, and the "grandness") but also want to have easy access to Robson for nightly strolls. But if getting there will be a big inconvenience then I might reluctantly consider giving up the view and staying at Wedgewood.
thanks for any advice
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Given the generally nasty nature of November weather 'nightly strolls' will be few and far between
In any case it's about a 10 minute walk .
Sep 25th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the reply.
Does it get that bad in November that one can't walk around at nights? Does it make sense to stay at the Wedgewood for its proximity to Robson if I actually like the Pan Pacific better based on the descriptions here. Or is Pan Pacific close enough? I could drive but I guess parking would be an issue?
thanks
Sep 26th, 2004, 06:49 AM
BAK

The weather depends on the day. If it is 40 degrees and pouring rain, it's a bad walk. If it is 50 degrees and a clear night, put on a jacket and enjoy the walk.

There's no telling in advance. I would not worry about it. They sell umbrellas in Vancouver, if it is rainy, but fairly warm.

I'd stay at the Pan Pacific myself, and walk.

BAK
Sep 26th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Just chiming in on Vancouver and the late November walk.

Vancouver has the unique distinction of being a city in which "regular" humanity walks the city streets at night, and mostly "safely", moreso than in any other large city I can think of.

If it isn't raining, then make sure you have WARM outerwear and then head on out to a brisk, chilly evening on the streets of Vancouver. Don't know how long you'll be there but the difference from one night to the next, rain-wise, can be 180 degrees. Weather is likely to be in the range of 4-10 degrees Celsius (40-50 F) on those evenings.
Sep 26th, 2004, 11:26 PM

Personal preferences and tolerances obviously matter a lot. My 17-year-old son only rarely wears a jacket, even during the winter months, while he is walking outside. In any event, with an umbrella and comfortable outerwear, why not enjoy a nice stroll down Robson Street at night?
Sep 26th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the advice.
What I'm getting here is that if one dresses warmly and if the weather does not get too bad, then walking from Pan Pacific to Robson is not bad.
Let me turn the question around and ask people if the "location" of Wedgewood is a worthwhile reason to chose it over PP (I'll be there for 3 nights and want to experience all the happenings of the city) I understand it's a nice hotel with friendly service, but is the location a major and compelling reason to stay there.
thanks again
Sep 27th, 2004, 12:11 AM

The Wedgewood is definitely more central than the Pan Pacific.