Roadtrip including Fundy, PEI and Quebec, City

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - I posted in the US forum, though I hoping to possibly catch some advice for those who have traveled Eastern Canada. We're planning a 2-week road-trip from Madison, WI to New England to Canada in late July 2015. We're an active couple in our 50's who enjoy hiking, biking and exploring local flavors (food and beer!). My husband prefers not to fly, thus the drive. Our route takes us to Portland, ME up the coast to Acadia; we'll most likely take a day-and-a-half to drive up the coast. What should we not miss and what should we avoid...any suggestions on overnight accommodations between Portland and Acadia? We're planning on staying in Bar Harbor 2 nights and using that time to get a taste of Acadia. From there we'll continue up to Canada to see the Bay of Fundy tides...any suggestions on "must-see" or "don't bother" in that area? We'll be one or two nights then head over to PEI and Charlottetown. From there we'll start to journey home with a stop in Quebec City. We're just starting online research and would love suggestions on towns, restaurants, B&Bs, microbreweries along the way!
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your trip sounds great! We visited the Maine coast and Bay of Fundy in September of 2014. In New Brunswick, we chose to observe the tides at Hopewell Rocks (getting across the Bay to Nova Scotia, where the tides are slightly higher, simply would have taken too much time. We stayed at the Hopewell Rocks Motel & Country Inn; the Ritz it isn’t, but it was very comfortable (book a room in the “adult building”, which has very a nice Bay view). One day is sufficient for Hopewell Rocks if the timing of your visit coincides with both high and low tide in the same day. We highly recommend that you visit Cape Enrage while in this area. The park is lovely, and it includes a zip line, rappelling wall, and breathtaking views!

Dining in the area is very limited. The very best meal we had in over two weeks in Maine and New Brunswick was at the Cape House Restaurant at Cape Enrage. Some believe it to be the best restaurant in New Brunswick. Another good choice would be its nearby sister restaurant, the Ranch Kitchen Restaurant at the Broadleaf Guest Ranch.

In Bar Harbor, we enjoyed meals at Paddy’s Irish Pub (great beer selection) and Galyn’s. Don’t miss breakfast at Jordan’s! In Portland, our very best meal was at Petite Jacqueline (a French bistro).

We became bored with endlessly driving in and out of peninsulas along the coast. The best quintessential Maine seacoast views are in Acadia and along Cape Elizabeth, just south of Portland.

Enjoy!