Restaurants in Vancouver

Aug 9th, 1999, 07:26 AM
cheryl

Restaurants in Vancouver

My husband and I will be staying in Vancouver for 3 days on our return from an Alaska cruise. We wanted to have a "nice" dinner one night, and a more casual "fun" dinner the other night. We will be staying right in the middle of the city on Robson street and won't have a car. Any suggestions for restaurants that fit either of my descriptions?
Thanks,

cheryl.

Aug 9th, 1999, 12:07 PM
sheri doyle

Cheryl, there are SO many good restaurants in Vancouver, it's very hard to choose. I'd suggest either Le Crocodile (French) or C (seafood) for your nice dinner, then Bin 941 (tapas) for your "fun" dinner.

Aug 9th, 1999, 10:52 PM
Kenny

Another factor you should consider is that Vancouver has an incredible variety of very good ethnic restaurants. You can choose oriental Chinese (seafood or Szechuan), Japanese, Thai, Korean, etc.), Indian, plus zillions of others.

I'm not a big fan of fancy restaurants, but I happen to like Joe Fortes (great service) at 777 Thurlow. For casual, you can try the Cactus Club at 1136 Robson (probably close to your hotel), or you wander around Denman Street, pick a restaurant that suits your fancy and watch people (lots but not too crowded).

If you are interested in a specific ethnic cuisine, let me know.

Aug 10th, 1999, 06:49 PM
Rebecca

Kenny, are there one or two Indian restaurants that stand out from the others? Thanks.

Aug 11th, 1999, 07:32 PM
cheryl

Thank you all for your responses! Keep 'em coming!!!!

cheryl.

Aug 11th, 1999, 09:01 PM
Kenny

Rebecca:
I'm assuming you are referring to East Indian, as opposed to Native Indian. If so, I asked two of my East Indian co-workers what they recommended. They suggested:
- Tandoori King, 8017 Fraser Street
- Ashiana Tandoori, 1440 Kingsway
Both of these are in the residential areas of Vancouver so you will need some transportation, but both are worth it. If you are stuck downtown, you can try A Taste of India, 1282 Robson. The Tandoori King occupies two buildings, so be sure to look for the restaurant - the other one is a banquet hall.
All of these serve authentic cuisine so you should confirm with the waiter how hot you like your dishes. And note where the nearest fire extinguisher is.
The restaurants in "Little India" in the Main Street and 49th Avenue area were rated only as "OK".

Aug 12th, 1999, 08:59 PM
D. Spiegel

La Terrazza in Yaletown. Excellent food, excellent presentation. While we were there they played CDs of Andrea Boccelli and Sarah Brightman.

Aug 14th, 1999, 12:05 PM
Rebecca

Kenny, thank you so much! Yes, I meant East Indian. We'll have a car, so we'll hunt out one of the places you mention.

Aug 17th, 1999, 05:16 AM
karen

Cheryl: On our last evening in Vancouver (June '98), following an Alaskan cruise, we ate at Chartwell, at the Four Seasons Hotel. Fabulous dinner, particularly the tasting menu accompanied by appropriate wines for each course. The amazing thing was the price compared with a similar meal in Boston, for instance-- especially due to the exchange rate of the US vs. Canadian dollar.

Aug 20th, 1999, 11:37 AM
Spanky

See: http://www.sallys-place.com/food/dir.../vancouver.htm

This site gives you a good overview of Vancouver restaurants. My fave is Le Crocodile!

Aug 22nd, 1999, 12:33 AM
April

We really enjoyed our dinners two nights ago at "the Chef and the Carpenter" at 1745 Robson. I almost didn't look at the menu because I tend to think French restaurants will be too expensive. It wasn't though. My salmon in a light sauce was about $16 or so and was perfect, with no bones. My husband had a $20 special that included tomato soup, chicken cooked in maple syrup and port wine (if I remember correctly), followed by hazelnut/chocolate cake (choice of 3 desserts).

All the vegetables were done just right - the small potatoes, carrots, green beans and tomato. I don't normally like green beans but if I could have theirs, I could eat them every night.

What I liked best is that the food was flavourful without being doused in garlic, and that there was no blaring music.

Also nearby was a Mongolian restaurant which looked interesting.