Search

Hornby Island

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 1999, 08:16 AM
Tracey

Hornby Island

A group of friends will be traveling to Hornby Island in September for a wedding and were thinking of driving and taking ferries from Vancouver to Hornby Island. We would like to find out what kind of drive it is and if there is anywhere on the route that is worth stopping. Thanks in advance.

Old May 14th, 1999, 08:13 PM
April

It depends on whether you're taking the ferry to Victoria (Sidney) or to Nanaimo, and on what kinds of things you'd like to see and do. My favourite areas are Victoria and north of Nanaimo - not in between. From Victoria, I would allow 3-3½ hours or so driving time to get to the Denman Island ferry terminal. The ferries seem to be timed so that you have to drive like a madperson to get to the other side of Denman to catch the Hornby Island ferry. Hornby Island itself has some lovely beaches but the best part, in my opinion, is the loop trail at Helliwell Park with its dramatic cliffs, golden grass, arbutus trees and vivid pines. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 12:52 PM
Tracey

Thanks April - Yes we will be taking a ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo, Driving to Buckley Bay, Ferry to Denman, Drive across Denman, Ferry to Hornby. <BR>How long is the drive from Nanaimo to Buckley Bay? thank you

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 12:26 AM
April

I'm guessing - an hour and a half. <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Andrea

I live in Courtenay, which is only 20 minutes from Buckley Bay. With the new island hwy it will only take you 45 minutes max to reach Buckly Bay. It's too bad you are not going to be there earlier because there is a great beach with white sand on Hornby island, Tribune Bay! It doesn't look so nice in the winter and fall though! If you have time at all head north of Coutrenay 2 hours to go killer whale watching at Robson's Bight! It is awsom!! It costs about $60 can per person though but well worth it! Email me if you have any other questions. If you go to Courtenay and want to know where to eat, here's the scoop! Italian cusine - Toscanos in comox. Pub food - The Black Fin in Comox. Also an excellent place is The Old House Resteraunt in Courtenay right on the river across from the saw mill. Have fun!