Restaurant suggestions in Banff?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for restaurant suggestions for Banff. We would like to go to one very nice upscale restaurant to celebrate a birthday and are also interested in moderately priced good restaurants for our other dinners. We are staying in Banff but are willing to travel to Lake Louise as well for dinner.

Besides dinner, we would love suggestions for casual restaurants for lunch.
Thanks so much.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 10:52 AM

For your not-fancy dinner or lunch, try St. James Gate. https://stjamesgatebanff.com/

I enjoy both the steak and guinness pie and the chicken,bacon, and leek pie.

Others may have better suggestions for an upscale place, but we love the ambience of the Waldhaus (Banff Fairmont). If you park down below by the river/golf course, you can take a short woodsy stroll to really set the tone of being in the wilderness. Often you can watch elk on the golf course at dusk. https://www.fairmont.com/banff-sprin...ausrestaurant/

Last edited by sludick; Jul 18th, 2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 12:52 PM

For when?

For any more upscale restaurant, reservations are key in the summer. The restaurants in the Banff Springs Hotel are all excellent, but would give priority to guests, so definitely need to book in advance. Another suggestion would be the The Three Ravens at the Banff Centre -- excellent food and the dining area is on the third (?) floor & has huge glass windows with a wonderful view across the Banff area.

Second the suggestion of the St James Gate. Park Distillery seems to get good reviews as well.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! Do we need to reserve St James Gate ahead of time?

We are staying at Banff Springs Hotel but I had the impression that those restaurants may be overrated for the price?

I just made a reservation at the restaurant at The Post Hotel in Lake Louise for our fancy meal. It looks terrific-- has anyone been there?
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 09:57 AM

I don't think St. James Gate even accepts reservations. As to those overrated restaurants - it's pretty much what you would expect for a Fairmont, pricewise. Haven't eat at the Post Hotel - enjoy, let us know what you think!
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 11:52 AM

I have not eaten at the Banff Springs Hotel, but the food at the Jasper Park Lodge was not what I'd consider over-priced given the quality, service and location. If I were staying there, I'd certainly take advantage -- the restaurants certainly get good reviews.

The St. James Gate is a pub - no reservations.

I've only eaten at the Outpost Pub, but heard great things about the main dining room. The owners are Swiss, as I remember, so the menu has some good Swiss/Swiss-German options and is pretty meat heavy. A good place to try a nice cut of meat, especially if they have local (well, Alberta) elk or bison.

Do make sure to leave yourself plenty of time to get to Lake Louise, and try to avoid being on the road after dark if you can. Dusk is the riskiest time for wildlife on the road, though not as much of an issue on the TransCanada because of the fencing.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 08:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
might want to look at Canmore also for options-Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co., Santa Lucia, Hogshead, were all good. There s also a great bakery(Le Fournil) and a great meat shop (Valbella) for picnic items. in Lake Louise the pub at the Post Hotel called the Outpost was very good.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 11:08 AM

If you want to venture into Canmore, The Trough or Crazy Weed are great for dinner.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 02:23 PM

Sidewalk dining at Hogshead in Canmore. In Canmore this month we also enjoyed Crazyweed and Murietta's for dinner. Go at 5:30 and you will not need a reservation.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions!! We will definitely check some of them out and will report back.