Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Regular Fodors Poster Moving from Baltimore to Montreal

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:14 AM
Daniel Williams

Since I regularly give travel advice here, I wanted to let people know that I'd just accepted a position with a biotech company in Montreal. This actually is not a request for relocation advice, as I lived in (and fell in love with) Montreal for 5 years ('94-'99) as a grad student, have many friends there and find the city feels like "home" in many ways.

All this to say, I look forward to giving up-to-date suggestions for visitors to the city (but I may have *dated* advice on the northeast corridor USA now). I have friends in Ottawa, Toronto and Quebec who I'll get the chance to see more often now, so hopefully I'll have new suggestions for people visiting those great cities. One trip I'm looking forward to realizing is taking a sleeper train from Montreal to Halifax NS; a long trip but I look forward to the scenery and reporting back on the experience.

Best wishes DAN

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 12:34 PM
Susan

Congratulations, Dan!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:29 PM
klam

Dan, glad it worked out for you. Congrats!!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:12 AM
zootsi

Congrats Dan! I have been to many cities throughout North America, and Montreal is probably the most livable (despite the very cold winters!) My wife and I visit Montreal several times a year, and are never disappointed!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:44 AM
Louis

Can we ask what Company you are going to work for?

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:44 AM
Daniel Williams

Thanks everyone for your congrats.

Louis, you are welcome to ask BUT I'm actually going to keep my big mouth shut now because I see that I wrote "I'd just accepted"; in truth, I've only been TOLD that they will make me an offer. I think I will probably accept, but I'll wait until contract is read with fine-tooth comb and everything is signed and dated before I write anything else.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:22 AM
traveller

Well, if you do come back to Canada, good luck.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:57 PM
kate

I am sooooo jealous!
Enjoy living in Montreal!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi

I'm in my apt. in Montreal now; it's so fantastic to be back--home. I've had social outings of some sort every evening this week...boy, I really do love this city passionately. Start work next week.

To keep this travel-related...I'm living in the Snowdon/Cote des Neiges area (near l'Oratoire St. Joseph) and I think visitors might enjoy exploring the side streets in this area (some of the old homes along say, Ridgwood and Victoria and simply marvelous to observe). If you do come, check out the fruit stores on Queen Mary (Jaffa, Fruiterie Mont Carmel, etc...) for small fruiteries packed with diverse selection. Puts Fresh Fields to shame, IMO. This area would be a fun way to spend a day coupled with a visit to l'Oratoire St. Joseph.

For restaurants buffs, I went to an incredible, reasonably priced Vietnamese restaurant on Monday, Pho Lien. Near Cote Ste. Catherine and Cote des Neiges...I think it was amongst the best in that genre I'd ever been to.

I'll be pretty busy here, but I look forward to giving travel recommendations from time to time.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Louis

There is an excellent Chinese restaurant on Queen Mary near Westbury: La maison Chung Mei. Been going there for at least 20 years, even if I don't live in this area anymore.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:19 AM
xxx

Hey Dan,

You are in a fairly decent area. Since you are near the Oratory, I assume you are close to Cote des Neiges X Queen Mary. Just some advice: stay as south on CDN as you can because the more north you go into the CDN/Snowdon district, it gets really gritty and this area is not very safe. Anyways, near where you live I would recommend: Nickels on CDN street for Smoked Meat, Jardins de Peking on Queen Mary for Szechuan (excellent lunch specials). Also, if you are interested in public transit, the 166 on Queen mary and the 165 on CDN street both take you right downtown. Good Luck and enjoy.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Daniel Williams

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm actually living over past Snowdon Metro, closer to Queen Mary x Decarie; I must say, there are some great places north of Queen Mary on Cote des Neiges (such as the Pho Lien restaurant I recommended at the corner of Cote Ste. Catherine), so I'm not sure what area you're referring to that should be avoided.

Ending on a restaurant suggestion... went to amazing Korean/Japanese place tonight...Nagoya in Old Montreal...kick-a** bulgogi, maybe on St. Francois-Xavier (?). All the ingredients were so fresh, service prompt, decor nice, moderately priced.