Red Carpet Inn in Banff?

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Carpet Inn in Banff?

Has anyone stayed here... they are one of the few places in Banff that accept pets. Thanks for any info
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Hello MinnesotaMouse,

Sorry, I haven't stayed at the Red Carpet Inn, and I don't know anyone else who has. As luck would have it, some Australian acquaintances will be staying there the night of June 16th, then going to Jasper, then arriving here in Calgary on June 19th. I don't know how quickly you need the information, but I could ask my acquaintances about their experience at the Red Carpet Inn when I see them on June 19th.

That said, dogs and bears are not a good mix. Bear attacks are uncommon but, of the bear attacks that do happen, dogs are amongst the leading factors in provoking those attacks.

Bears have a natural tendency to avoid people. Common reasons for bears' avoidance behaviour to switch to aggresion are:

* The bear is surprised.
* The bear is protecting young or food.
* The bear follows food odours to a human.
* A dog provokes an attack.
* The bear is habituated to people, and has lost its natural fear.

In most cases on the forum, we spend our time calming people's fears about bears, telling them how rare bear-human encounters are, etc.

In your case, I'm going to do the opposite. I want you to know that, although it's rare to encounter a bear, a bear is an incredibly powerful animal and, if he/she feels threatened, he/she has the means to kill you in no time flat. Bears can run as fast as horses, they can climb trees, they can swim, and their claws can rip through the trunk of a car like a can opener.

If your dog is roaming free, and just happens to run into trouble with a bear, your dog most likely will flee back to you, bringing the bear in pursuit.

In my opinion, your bringing your dog to the mountains would endanger your dog, you, and any people who were near you.

For that reason, I don't think it's a good idea to bring your dog to the mountains. If you really, really want to bring your canine companion with you, please keep him/her on a leash at all times that he/she is outdoors, and please do read these websites about preventing problems with bears:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/visit12_e.asp

http://www.cmiae.org/hike-bear.htm

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/eeeb/info/bearaware/home/

Come to think of it, you didn't say you wanted to bring a dog. You said the Red Carpet Inn was one of the few places in Banff that accepted pets. A pet could be an animal other than a dog, but when people enquire about travelling with pets, they most often mean dogs. So that was the assumption I worked on.

Hope you have a good trip.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help... we're not leaving until later this month so info would be helpful - I will check back on this thread. We are bringing our dog but do not plan on hiking with her. We will exercise her in town with walks and she will be fine - spends days alone in the house while we're at work so this is no different. She's been to Yellowstone, Tetons, Rocky Mt. Park, etc. so we're pretty versed in having a dog with us. Also, there are many people who have dogs that live in these areas that do not have problems... you just need to be aware, which we are. Thanks for your concern though. There's also evidence that dogs keep bears away... so I guess it depends who you talk to.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Hi MinnesotaMouse,

Okay, it's a date. I'll come back to this thread and post what I hear about Red Carpet Inn.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Hello MinnesotaMouse,

I saw my Australian friends yesterday. They had carried out their plan of spending the night of June 16th at the Red Carpet Inn.

They said it was okay. It was clean, and they had a big room on the top floor, a balcony with a table, chairs, and a beautiful view of the mountains.

They did say, however, that the Red Carpet Inn was quite an old hotel.

They said they wouldn't recommend it to someone who liked upscale hotels, but it was fine for anyone who wanted a hotel that was clean, friendly, and adequately comfortable.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Judy... still not sure if we're going to Banff but really appreciate the review. We are not too picky as long as it's clean! Hope your friends had a good time.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:40 AM
ltt

sounds like you plan on leaving the dog in the hotel room alone. have you checked if you can do this. i know many hotels accept pets but most that i know do not allow you to leave them alone. if they get to barking while your gone for several hours, could drive the other guests nuts. just thought i'd mention in case you hadn't checked this out.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

I have checked with all places and they are okay leaving a dog in the room as long as she's quiet. We never leave for more than a few hours. We always bring a fan for white noise and leave a radio or TV on - she's used to travelling and have never had a problem with her barking.

Wow, a lot of people are concerned with bringing a dog... I feel bad that so many people have had bad experiences. It's always the training and the owner, not the dog. We would never bring a badly behaved dog, child or grown up on vacation with us - what kind of vacation would that be!!!