Search

re: Reviews of Aerie Resort

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
ALP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Reviews of Aerie Resort

Has anyone stayed at the Aerie in the last year? Please post any information on this resort, rooms (which type is the best for the money), dining and food, etc... as I may book a weekend here.

Did you like it better or worse than Sooke Harbour House or others in the area? Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:39 PM

Some reviews here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Columbia.html

Three of the four reviews are for 2003 visits.

Normally I'd suggest Epinions.com - but there are no reviews of the Aerie there.

Ken
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 11:45 AM

Sorry, not in the last year, but in Oct of 2001. We spent a week there for our honeymoon and had a marvelous time. We stayed in one of the Master Suites that had a straight-on view of Finlayson Arm from our tub. We considered the newer Residence Suites as well, but were glad we didn't choose those. The Residence Suites are where the spa is, but across the long parking lot from the restaurant. Fine if the spa is more your thing, but we liked just popping downstairs for breakfast. The Aerie Suites are more lavish, with the canopy beds, but we liked the simpler layout and less "over the top" decor of the Master Suites. They cost the same, though.

Can't comment on Sooke, but it was the other place we were considering. We're actually going there next year for our anniversary. I chose the Aerie because I wanted something really romantic for our honeymoon, and the hilltop view really made it seem like we were away from everything.

Other than that, the resort is small. No place to do much exploring unless you go hiking on the trails. The pool is too small to do any real swimming. Food is great, even the room service food. (Get their steak sandwiches!) We got tired of the unchanging menu, which is why we ended up with room service near the end, but if you're only there for a weekend it won't matter.

It's really not a place to go if you want to *do* much, but if you just want to relax, soak in the tub, read, and explore the trails it's wonderful. Service is gracious as well.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 07:43 PM

Having spent a month's vacation in Oak Bay (Victoria), one day hubby and I drove up to the Aerie Resort for lunch. The wait staff couldn't have been nicer to us and made sure our experience there was worth returning for. I must agree with the other post ... The Aerie is located in a very remote location up the Malahat Mtn, with nothing else close by, but the views are magnificant high atop the mountain.
As for Sooke Harbor House ... Also ate lunch there. Each day the chef(s) prepares a different meal. The food was great, nice view right on the waters edge, but our waiter was very unfriendly towards us which made our visit most unsatisfactory. Like the Aerie, there is not much to do even though the small village is closby.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 10:44 AM

Regarding Francie's comment - "Like the Aerie, there is not much to do even though the small village is close by."

Not much to do??? - I guess it all depends on what types of things that you like to do.
If you prefer cities with night clubs, shopping malls, and amusement parks etc., then I agree that you might find the Sooke region boring.
However, if you are a nature lover and like your holidays to be peaceful, quiet, stress-free and away from the noise and crowds, there is PLENTY to do in the Sooke area.
You have your choice of hiking through forests or walking the beaches along the Galloping Goose Trail, East Sooke Regional Park, French Beach Provincial Park, and others.
There is also fishing, whale-watching, sailing, bird-watching, painting or taking photos of the scenery, visiting local art shops, finding local arts information or history at the Sooke Museum/gift shop.
There are several pubs nearby, and if you really require an urban fix, it doesn't take long to drive into Victoria.

For more info, see www.sooke.org

Old Dec 11th, 2003, 09:39 PM

Borealis,
In answer to your post ... I guess you are right in what you say, if one likes to commune with nature. To each his own. I did not find Sooke a bit interesting or attractive. It is too far away from Victoria in my opinion.
Francie
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 02:48 PM
ALP
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info. We have decided to spend a weekend at the Aerie.