Quebec City Restaurants?

Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Quebec City Restaurants?

We are heading to Quebec City for 4 day this weekend and are looking for restaurant recommendations. I have already conducted a search and many of the postings are old and restaurants change quite frequently. Price range can vary from $150 down to a bistro level if it's good. Thanks
Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:27 AM

I will comment on one place: Louis Hebert on the Grand Allee.

I had the best scallops there I ever had. That is one meal, so my sample in very limited.

Along the Grand Allee there are quite a few restaurants. The time I was there each place had a person standing near the main sidewalk to entice customers.

They seemed to have a code of behavior. They did not approach passers-by, but if you asked them a question, they would respond fully.
Most of them spoke English. My guess is that was a requirement for the job!!

Once inside, a knowledge of French was helpful. My problem is that I speak about as much French as the cat next door.

Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:07 AM

Our favourite - just a fantastic restaurant is L'Initiale in lower old town. We always get the price fixe menu with wine pairings. It is out of this world!!!
Jul 31st, 2008, 08:18 PM

From personal experience, every non-chain restaurant I've been to in Quebec City has been excellent. I've been there numerous times and have eaten at all types of restaurants.

One of my favourites is a little bit away from the main touristy area but you can walk to it. It is called "Le Mistral Gagnant." It has Provencal cuisine from France. You can sit at one of the tables in the window sill and it makes a great photo from outside.

Here is a link: http://www.mistralgagnant.ca/

Aug 1st, 2008, 06:52 AM
Ike

Le Saint-Amour is one of the best restaurants I have ever visited. I was in QC 3 years ago and stayed at the Chateau Frontenac. We were very dissatisfied with L'Initiale. We went to Saint-Amour twice. It was outstanding.

We also had lunch several times at a great restaurant directly across the park from Frontenac. It was a small French bistro type with outdoor seating and the food, service was outstanding.