Quebec City-Montreal itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Quebec City and Montreal for the first time, and Quebec City is about an 8 hour car ride from my home. I am planning to leave on a Saturday morning,and stay in Quebec City Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights. I will leave for Montreal on Tuesday and stay Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night, and leave for home on Friday.That gives me two full days and three evenings in each place. Does this sound right or should I give more or less time to either place? Thanks.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM
kja

It depends on what you want to see and experience, but I think 2 days/3 evenings in Quebec City is perfect. On the other hand, it seems a bit short for Montreal. Any chance of adding another day there?
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:20 PM

I recently did Montreal and had 3 full days (4 nights) there.

The first day I did Olympic Park (Biodome, Botanical Gardens, Insectarium, Olympic Tower). I didn't spend as much time as I would have liked in the Gardens.

The second day, I did the downtown area, but definitely never got close to seeing it all.

The third day, I did Old Montreal.

I did a ton of walking each day. You could easily stretch them to two days each and have a more relaxed pace.

I'm a big planner and researcher, so I knew which places were most important to me before I went. This allowed me to make sure I had time for those. For example, in Old Montreal, I knew I really wanted to see Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours. Because of this, I did not go inside the Basilica Notre Dame, but just walked by it enjoying the outside view. I figured if I had time later, I would go inside (I didn't have time). If I had run out of time and not gone into the Chapelle, I wouldn't have forgiven myself.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:58 PM

We went to both cities in May/June. Arrived on Friday night Montreal. Departed Tuesday morning Via Rail and had from about 11am+ that day til Thursday late afternoon. Then had Friday thru Sunday (midday) back in Montreal.

I would have liked more time in Quebec after we arrived there and got to exploring but didn't know that beforehand!

We liked the atmosphere/feel of QC more than Montreal. Montreal while very diverse in a lot of ways was just like another big city to us. We traveled with our 1 yr old child so our nightlife and fine dining was limited and off our radar!

We took a bus tour our first full day to get an idea of what we might be interested in doing the rest of the time. It was about 4 hrs I think. Based on that and other research I had done--
We went to the Olympic Stadium, Biodome, Botanical Gardens, Old Montreal, cruised around the area and underground near our hotel (Hilton)... we wish we had more time to go back to St Joseph's (probably would have if we had a rental car but didn't feel like fooling with public transport to get there since it was a bit out of the way).

Our last day in Montreal we were basically beat and lazed around the hotel/napped/swam and wandered out for a bite to eat and last minute souvenirs.
Walked a ton and since it wasn't very handicapped friendly in either city we carried a baby in a stroller up a TON of stairs!

We took a boat tour in QC to Montmorency Falls, toured Frontenac, 2 hr shuttle tour on the day of our arrival...we couldn't check in to the hotel til 3pm so had 4 hours to occupy.

I could have just hung out in La Petite Champlain for hours!! We were so enamored with the city we bought our first real painting from a gallery there capturing the skyline/Frontenac.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 06:12 AM

This sounds fine. Quebec is a lot more scenic and charming (but small), Montreal is much bigger with lots more dining and shopping options.