Quebec City Dining & Sightseeing

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Senior citizens first visit to Quebec City-Staying at the Le Clos Saint Louis in July. Would appreciate any dining, sightseeing, antiquing suggestions from your experiences.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:52 AM

I spent 5 weeks in QC last May-June. I'm not sure where your hotel is, but just walking around the historic district is a lot of fun. There is at least one antique shop in the lower part of the historic district.

There were a lot of sightseeing things that I loved, but my brain is failing me and I can't remember all the names! For sure, Montmorency Falls - the waterfall, the battlefield/park by the Citadel, a riverboat cruise, possibly take a bus to Ste. Anne de Beaupre to see the cathedral.

Good luck and have fun! I wish I could go back this year!
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:54 AM

I forgot dining!

On a college student's budget, we ate a lot of cheap food, but Aux Anciens Canadiennes was one of the nicer places we tried. It is the oldest "house" in Quebec, and has been converted into a quaint little restaurant. We ate there for lunch (to save some money!) and it was by far the best meal I had in my 5 weeks there. We also ate at Le Cochon Dingue and I was not as impressed with the food there.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:57 AM

For crepes, you have to try Casse Crepe Breton. I think there are multiple locations. Their crepe is the best.

Also, be sure to eat some poutine. Chez Ashton (like a McDonalds) supposedly has the best, but I had it other places, too. It consists of French fries, cheese curds, and gravy.
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:08 AM

While in Québec, don't miss a visit to the Citadel. This national historic site is home to the Royal Vingt-Deuxième Régiment, one of Canada's regular army regiments. In summer they perform the Changing of the Guard each morning, and on Weekend evenings the Beating Retreat ceremony. They are quite spectacular in their scarlet tunics and bearskins, along with the goat "Batisse", their regimental mascot.