Search

Montreal and Quebec City restaurant recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal and Quebec City restaurant recommendations

Hello,
I am just trying to fish for restaurant recommendations that are for more local, non-touristy type of places that the guidebooks might not mention. I am looking for authentic dining experiences, small cafés, etc. Specifically, I am looking for places that serve regional cuisine or any international variety...just wanting something different and special. Thanks in advance for any places you want to plug.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:13 AM
BAK

At thelow end of your budget ....

Down in Old Montreal, look for a hole in the wall (literally) that sells Beaver Tails. (Which are not made out of real beavers) these are an eat-while-walking pastry-based snack.

On St. Laurent, look for Swarartz'Hebrew Deli, and have a smoked meat sandwich.Montreal's long-established and vibrant Jewish community has contributed two great foods to the city. Montereal smoked meat, and bagels.

The hidden treasure for reasonably priced food is, believe it or not, the food court in Central Station, underneath the Queen Elizabeth Hotel. Look at the menus, and pick what you like. Excellent place to go to get sandwiches, etc., if, for instance, you want a picnic on the slopes of Mount Royal.

BAK
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:43 PM

In Quebec City we loved Le Petit Coin Breton (excellent crepes - all imaginable flavors), and Aux Ancien Canadiens (hope I spelled it right). This one can be pricey, but visit them during lunch - same great menu, a lot less money. I tried my first dish of escargots (snails) there - delicious!
Tanya
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 10:12 PM

In Montreal we had great meals at: L'Epicerie (best) Holder and Boris Bistro. Run from La Sauvagine on Saint Paul. A tourist trap over priced, poor service and terrible food. It tries to pass itself off as a gourmet spot but completely fails. Worst experience the whole trip
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:02 AM

I've been in Montreal a few times lately on business and had dinner with Toronto co-workers who have virtually spent the last 2 years travelling back and forth every week for 4 nights/week. One of them said he has tried almost every restaurant in town during that time! Boris Bistro is terrific. We had dinner there and all enjoyed it.

Last week I had lunch at Renoir in the Sofitel Hotel. Not a small local place obviously, but we were celebrating a project milestone. Very nice table d'hote menu for lunch.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

X
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 06:38 PM

We just returned from Quebec last week. For breakfast, try Le Petite Coin Latin and Le Cochon Dingue.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:15 AM

I hate to contradict a fellow fodorite, but I think Aux Ancien Canadiens is a major tourist spot.

In Quebec, I enjoyed Paris Brest, which is outside the Old City, near the Loews. When the staff found out that I spoke French, they were delighted (that didn't mean that I could understand the Quebecois accent, but it was still very nice). The restaurant's namesake dessert is fabulous.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:47 AM

In Old Montreal seek out Chez Better, a great place. Specializes in sausages from around the world, beers from around the world, great frites (fries), and wonderful sauerkraut. Also in season they have the most wonderful mussels served Belgian style. It is a wonderful local place, and is my favorite in Montreal.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:02 PM

Did a lot of research before our recent visit to QC. Vetoed Le Petit Coin Breton, Aux Ancien Canadiens, and Le Cochon Dingue as tourist traps.

Had a wonderful meal at Le Cafe du Monde, 84 rue Dalhousie (Many guidebooks give the old address, since the restraurant recently moved to the waterfront.) The location is spectacular, the people are chic, and the food was great.

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 03:15 PM

Just discovered Restaurant Les Infideles, a French bistro with nice food and a great ambience w/ a local crowd. Also, NO SMOKING PERMITTED--YAY!!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Les Infideles is BYOB, so you can save money by bringing your own wine. La Coulombe is a popular, non-smoking BYOB also with a great reputation...ENJOY!