Planning 4 days in Nova Scotia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 4-5 day trip to Nova Scotia. Will arrive on Day 1 in Digby around 7pm and be leaving Day 5 from Digby around 4pm. We are interested in pretty drives (though not too long) and walking through interesting towns. No need for hiking, as we will be doing lots of that in Maine. I was thinking that Lunenburg and the Cabot Trail seemed like the places to go, as we will be seeing the Bay of Fundy on the Ferry. I think we'd like walking through and exploring Lunenburg and I think my husband will love driving the Cabot Trail (and I'd love to see a Moose!). Though can't figure out how to see both of them in this time-frame. Any suggestions of itinerary or, if there is somewhere else we should be going?
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:45 AM

If you want to do the Cabot Trail, it will be a lot of driving. If you are entering Digby, why not spend a night in that area and explore the outer Islands and some whale watching. Check out Annapolis Royal, take the back roads into Wolfville. The Canning Lookoff is a great spot for a picnic. Check out Halls Harbour for a picturesque opportunity to savour a lobster dinner on the wharf. Grand Pre is another great historic spot. Make sure you drive to the end where the campground is. You could spend the first couple of days in this area. Then opt for a day in Halifax and explore the city. The next day head towards Lunenburg along the coastline and then back towards Digby. Short drives - probably 2-3 hours tops. In order to do Cape Breton you are looking at 7 hours or more from Digby.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 04:48 PM

I may be too late with this reply but if you do the Cabot Trail, you will come across the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. The Park is located between Cheticamp and Pleasant Bay. Hiking Trail #7, the Skyline trail goes through marshes and the last time I was there, about 4 years ago, Moose could be seen about 10 feet from the trail. You may want to contact the Park and ask them if there are still Moose nearby. That particular trail takes about 2 to 3 hours to complete and you have an absolutely gorgeous view at the end. It is worth taking the time to hike that trail. It is a relatively flat trail as you will already be at the highest point of the mountains by then. Web address for the Park is as follows. http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ns/cbreton/activ/activ1_E.asp
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. That was very helpful. Given all the wonderful things we've heard about Cape Breton, we've changed our itinerary a bit to focus on Cape Breton, rather than seeing the whole Province. As a result, we will be driving to and from New Brunswick and probably be in Cape Breton for 3-4 days. Now that we have this extra time, any other suggestions of things to do or see in Cape Breton? Also, do you think this is too long in Cape Breton?
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Syv

It is not far while in New Brunswick to go to Hopewell Rocks / Fundy National Park on the Bay of Fundy. World's highest tides. Best to spend the day between the two & see both high & low.

If you do get to Halifax, be sure to take a wander through the Titanic graveyard, walk the boardwalk of the harbour, see Pier 21 museum (where ALL immigrants entered Canada in the past), see Halifax Maritime Museum of the Atlantic & take their tour of the ship Acadia. The museum has a great display of information about the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Hi anywhere basically on the Cabot trail you will see moose. But i'll givbe you my best suggestion when your going up french mountain thats the first mountain going up passed cheticamp thereis on top of the mountain is french lake you sould be able to see a moose there if not. check out the far side of Mackenzie mountain, if not there go to the very top of North mountain where you reach a small plateau. pull over to the side of the road and wait 10 or 15 min. what your looking for is the small paths that the moose use, they are very easy to see and the moose shouldn't be too far, I hope this helps.