Travel Times to Baddeck

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Times to Baddeck

Hello, My family and I have planned a pretty spontaneous trip to Nova Scotia. We have never been there before and our flight is landing in Portland, Maine in late July. We were mainly interested in staying on Cape Breton Island and have secured accommodation in Baddeck, but are unsure of the travel times from Portland to Baddeck. Every mapping website we use gives us a different answer. We would appreciate any answers from anyone who may have driven this because we need to know if we need to break the trip into 2 legs and get a hotel along the way. Thank You!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:32 PM

I hope I can be helpful, others may have more accurate answers. I live in Portland and am planning a trip to Baddeck the end of July but going by ferry from Bar Harbor, Maine and making a number of stops in NS before I get to Baddeck. MapQuest says you can drive it in 11 hours, you probably already know that. Somehow I suspect it will take longer but I don't really know. You could drive to Bar Harbor(a little over 3 hours from Portland) and then take the car ferry (the CAT) to Yarmouth NS. The ferry ride is 3 or 4 hours. Map Quest says the drive from Yarmouth to Baddeck is 7 hours. This won't really save you clock time but it will save you driving time. The ferry is expensive however.
Good luck.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:23 AM

just so the times don't confuse you, if you take the ferry...According to their website, the Bar Harbor-Yarmouth ferry takes 2 hrs 45 mins. But you lose an hour on the clock because Maine is on eastern time, and Nova Scotia is in the Atlantic time zone. So the 8AM ferry arrives at 11:45 local time in Yarmouth.

You could also drive up to New Brunswick, stay the night, and then take the ferry across the Bay of Fundy to Digby in Nova Scotia.

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Fairhope

And Digby scallops are fabulous!!!

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone. We looked into the CAT ferry, but at $100 round trip and having 7 people in our family, it's much more affordable to drive. We were planning on landing in Portland, overnighting in Amherst, then driving down the coast to Truro to see some of the Bay of Fundy, then from Truro heading east to Baddeck. Does anyone have any other suggestions? We only have 5 days in Nova Scotia and are trying to maximize our time to see as much as we can. Thanks!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:16 AM

travel time from halfax to baddeck is approx. 3.5 hours. from yarmouth it would be approx 8 hours