Driving to Nova Scotia?

Search

Driving to Nova Scotia?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving to Nova Scotia?

Is a day trip to Nova Scotia by car feasible from Portland, ME? It looks like all of the ferries will have discontinued service before our trip the last week in Ocotober. Any advice?
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 10:46 AM
BAK

If the ferries are discontinued, no, it is too far for round trip in a day.

But you could get to New Brunswick and back, if you left early enough in the morning. St. Andrews by the Sea is the nearest interesting New Brunswick town to Portland, or you could go to Campebello Island. There's a bridge, not a ferry.

Whether it is feasible and whether it is worthwhile is a different question, though.

I certainly would rather spend the day in mid and northern Maine, at a relaxed pace and down near the water, than get on the interstate, see a lot of trees, and spend time crossing the border, regardless of how nice St. Andrews is.

Now, if you had three days...

BAK
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Even if the Ferry WERE running, I wouldn't recommend it. There is nothing you would see in a day-trip that would be worth the trouble. NS needs a week, mimimum.

~Liz
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:16 AM

I agree with previous posters...its not feasible, and not even all that worthwhile. If you want to drive up to Bar Harbor, and spend some time in Acadia, thats much prettier than the southern part of Nova Scotia, or New Brunswick.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Portland, ME to Amherst, NS is about 430 miles, with about 160 miles of it being non-freewway (about 100 in Maine, 60 in New Brunswick).

That's 8 hours of driving each way. And if you're going to Halifax, that's another 120miles or 2 hours each way.

So, Portland, ME to Halifax, NS, roundtrip will take 20 hours of driving. I don't know what's your definition of "feasible".