Pick one great Toronto restaurant

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Sara

Pick one great Toronto restaurant

I only have one night available in Toronto over a weekend for a great dinner. I'm either staying at the Park Hyatt or the Sheraton Centre. I've read about all the top ones, but what would you choose if you could only eat at one:<BR><BR>North 44<BR>Scaramouche Pasta Bar<BR>Avalon<BR>Boba<BR>Susur (not rated yet by Zagats, sounds interesting)<BR>Other?<BR><BR>I have one afternoon for lunch. Unfortunately looks like the top restaurants aren't open for lunch, except Chiado which looks good. Other lunch suggestions? Something more casual?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Dee

We have eaten at both North 44 and Avalon and would highly recommend both. Tough choice. Might pick Avalon by the slightest of margins.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Darryl

Tundra,at the Hilton is also a great choice.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:25 PM
tutu

They're all great restaurants with superb food. However, if I had to pick one, it would be Susur's but stick to the menu and not the taster's choice menu (you may find the portions just a wee bit too tiny). The room is exquisitely simple and elegant, the service attentive, food is a complex work of art and Susur himself periodically wanders thru the dining area. Bon appetit.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:29 PM
tutu

I forgot to mention JUMP at Commerce Court for lunch - really good food, nice atmosphere even if majority are from the nearby banking towers.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Brian Kilgore

If you stay at the Sheraton Centre, you can walk to Avalon, and work up more of an appetite.<BR><BR>Walk to Boba from the Hyatt.<BR><BR>Susur is the exotic one; it will provide the meal with the most anecdotes along the lines of "You can't imagine what they brought out next."<BR><BR>Skip the Scaramouche Pasta Bar. Good as it is (and it's one of the bargains of Toronto) it is not in the same class. Which is not to say that the "real" Scaramouche should be ignored.<BR><BR>My office is across the street from Avalon, and I thought it is open for lunch, at least during the week. I just called, got trapped in voice mail, but it says it is open for lunch Thursday from 12 - 2.<BR><BR>One of the best meals I've had in Toronto was at Centro, more or less across the street from North 44.<BR><BR>Once you drop the Scaramouche Pasta Bar,you might as well put the other names in a hat.<BR><BR>Lunch? Canoe at the top of the Toronto Dominion bank tower. Jump, as already suggested.<BR><BR>I eat lunch fairly often at Hemispheres in the Metropolitan Hotel, supposedly a great restaurant, but I don't find it all that good.<BR><BR>BAK<BR><BR>

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Brian Kilgore

I did not pay enough attention to your original message; lunch on the weekend.<BR><BR>If you are at the Hyatt, (or if you are not, for that matter) I'd just walk around the Yorkville area, look at the menus in the windows, and pick a place that looked good.<BR><BR>And, when in doubt, the Studio on the second floor of the Four Seasons will always do a great job, any day of the week, for lunch.<BR><BR>For that matter, Truffles, the main Four Seasons restaurant, ishard to beat for your special dinner.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Gayle

We've been to all of them, several times (some more than others) Here's my take:<BR><BR>North 44 - excellent cuisine, beautiful room, upstairs is more intimate, downstairs is see and be seen trendy, large, inventive menu, lenghty wine list, great servvice even if they don't know you.<BR><BR>Scaramouche Pasta Bar - very mediocre food, claustrophobic room with awkward club chairs, located downstairs in an apartment building, extremely expensive for what it is. (Can you tell, this is not a favorite?).<BR><BR>Avalon - absolutely one of our faves, with an inventive menu that changes frequently, the most wonderful grilled sardines with preserved lemons (when available), located in a former Victorian house but contemporarily reonovated, very comfortable and welcoming, the best cheese menu (!) in the city, a lovely wine list, with many half bottles so you can try a white with the sardines, then move to a red with the rack of lamb, wonderful desserts, understated service.<BR><BR>Boba - also located in a former house, different rooms, main floor the nicest away from the door, nice menu changes often, lots of regulars here, service a bit up and down, food good, especially the dessert platter.<BR><BR>Susur - mixed reviews on this, the most original in terms of food combinations and sensory food experience, very stark, austere room, service up and down, creative and original, had a mediocre wine list but I've heard it's been improved.<BR><BR>Jump - Blech!<BR><BR>Chiado - quite amazing Portugese food, heavy on fish and seafood, wonderful wine list and extremely knoweledgeable servers.<BR><BR>As for lunch, I'd recommed Le Select on Queens St. W for french bistro, casual, great wine list or Arlequin on Avenue Road, similar to Le Select. Both require reservations. Canoe is great for lunch during the week when it's buzzing with biz types. Not sure if it's open on a weekend for lunch.<BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Lee

Susur (Lee) for dinner for sure. If you are an adventuresome eater, I would (politely, I am Canadian)take issue with a previous poster and say DO try the Taster's menu-my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it.Though portions are small individually by the time you've reached Course #6, you are fed and fed well, IMO. Saveur Magazine agreed, naming Sasur Lee and kitchen staff as one of the 100 best things happening in food this year.<BR><BR>I'd also like to heartily endorse Le Select Bistro on Queen for lunch, brunch on a weekend...it has excellent food, terrific atmosphere...if the weather is on your side, its fun to sit out and people watch.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Sara

Thank you all so much for your great information. Now I only wish I had more than one night!