Search

PEI Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PEI Questions

I'm thinking of going to PEI next year for a long (3 or 4 day) weekend. I know I definitely would not go over or around the time of Canada Day, and would like to go to Charlottetown, but so far, that's all I've got.

A couple of questions:
When is it warm enough to swim there? I'm guessing perhaps American Memorial Day weekend (last weekend in May) might be too cold, but could Labor Day weekend also be too cold?

Any B&B or hotel/motel recommendations?

I understand it's very walkable, so would I need to rent a car if I basically just plan to walk around Charlottetown and relax on the beach?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Hi BrainyJaynie,

While Charlottetown is quite walkable, PEI itself is quite large and public transit is quite limited on the island. If you want a beach, there are none right in Charlottetown itself so you will need SOME form of transport to get to them. This most typically is done in the form of a rental car. There are a FEW other options however...

My friend & I were car-less but brought our bikes, which gave us access to Tea Hill Beach. Also, there is a shuttle from downtown Charlottetown to Cavendish and once in Cavendish we did rent bikes to get access to the nearby Prince Edward Island National Park beaches. If you're not cyclists, alternatively, I DID notice a few taxi companies in Charlottetown so perhaps one could have them take you to a beach on the north shore (one of the close ones like Brackley Beach or Dalvay-by-the-Sea) as well, with an arranged pick-up time.

Memorial Day will certainly be frigid in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence (was quite cold when I went this past June), not sure about Labour Day. Things don't really get going at Cavendish Beach until July, from my understanding. Northumberland Strait beaches on the southern shore though are odd ones, as the water is truly unusually warm due to the Gulf Stream. However, given the red clay-coloured sand on the Strait (perhaps not everywhere, but at Tea Hill for sure), the sand doesn't quite have that grainy consistency one usually associates with a beach experience... great for clam-digging apparently, but less ideal for laying out on the beach (one sinks a little bit, crab heaven) and one's beach towels end up...well... red after a day in the sand.

If beach is your priority, you may want to consider basing yourself in Cavendish (you could use the Beach Shuttle to do a day trip to Ch'town). If you do decide to base yourself in Ch'town (advantage: more amenities, seafood restaurants, historical sites, etc...), I was very happy with the warmth & hospitality at the Duchess of Kent B&B.

Have fun! PEI is lovely! DANIEL
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Daniel! I'm used to non-American beaches (rockier terrain in Europe, for example), but haven't been to a Canadian beach. I appreciate all the info. How many miles or kilometers is the bike ride, between Cavendish and Charlottetown, do you know? Is it a pretty straightforward ride?

Thanks again...I'm sure I'll be bothering you folks further as the year progresses. I appreciate the B&B reco; they all look so charming online.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 06:43 PM

Hi BrainyJaynie

I'm not sure if there's a safe way from Charlottetown to Cavendish by bike (it's a good haul too; about 60 km one way); the roads seemed a bit too busy for my liking in places when we took the shuttle. The Confederation Trail only goes as close as Hunter River (about 17 km from Cavendish) to Cavendish. Renting the bikes once in Cavendish (there's a Petro Canada gas station kitty-corner to the Visitor Information Centre, and two-minute walk from the entrance to Green Gables that rents) and cycling along the waterfront was TERRIFIC however.

If you're really in-shape, maybe you could cycle from Charlottetown to Dalvay Beach (30 km), the route to which is partly on the Confederation Trail.

Charlottetown is a charming place and given the choices, deciding on a B&B may not be so easy... hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

DANIEL
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 05:33 AM

Canada Day is a great time to visit Charlottetown. They usually have a lot going on - good music, fireworks, food, etc. It is a large event for the Island. As for swimming, the water is typically warmer towards the end of August, however,having said that, we were in Cavendish the last week of August in 2009 and it was soooo cold, we could only walk the beach with our jackets on. So really it depends on mother nature
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:27 AM

I don't know if you're specifically avoiding the Canada Day weekend or if your plans just fall that way on the calendar, but if the former, you're missing a great, fun Canada Festival at the harbour. We were there a couple of years ago and got a real 'flavour' of Charlottetown.

Don't miss the Prince-Water Street restaurant. Have the lobster dinner.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 07:30 AM
BAK

I have been in the ocean at Cavendish PEI on Labour Day, and it was fine.

Weird currents make PEI water much,much warmer than Maine and even Cape Cod.

And it has had all summer to warm up.

BAK
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

I'd been thinking of avoiding Canada Day because while I know it's summer and so people will be vacationing in Charlottetown throughout the whole of summer, I'd think it would be much more crowded over Canada Day holiday. While it's my expectation there will other folks there, I really don't want to experience a "jammed-to-the-gills" scenario, and I also wonder if it drives prices up just temporarily.

Thanks to all who've replied and furnished information! This was my first post, and I'm really pleased at the sharing and pleasant attitudes.