Reload this Page >

PEI or Nova Scotia

Search

PEI or Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 05:49 PM
Jon-Eric

PEI or Nova Scotia

Hi, every summer I like to take an escape from humidity trip (I live in New Orleans) and I was considering PEI and/or Nova Scotia for next summer. Is there much for a single traveler to kill a week on PEI or should I include Nova Scotia also? Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 05:56 PM
Susan

Well, that depends on what you want to do, Jon-Eric! If you want to rent a cottage, hang out @ the beach, eat lobster & play golf then you cld. easily enjoy a week on PEI! But, if you want to "see things" then hop over to NS for a few days. Check w/ your airline & see where it is easier to fly into/out of & go from there.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:00 PM
Jon-Eric

Hi Susan, I really like visiting historic homes and buildings, biking is also big with me, local theatre and walking tours. Thanks

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:12 PM
Melissa

Are you of Acadian decent? If so, you really should consider New Brunswick instead. Acadians (Cajons) are from NB, and you could visit your roots. NB is a beautiful province, lots of history and culture. You will see tons of historic homes, etc. There is the Acaidan Villiage on the North Shore, which will explain the full history including the Expulsion of the French by the English. It is really neat. They have authentic houses from the 1800's, and have it all set up in a village format. Worth a look.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:24 PM
Jon-Eric

Thanks! Actually I'm not Cajun, but your suggestion has piqued my interest.<BR>I had considered NB and also St. Johns in NF too. I can definitely see myself making multiple trips to this region!<BR>Thanks again

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:32 AM
Molly

Hi Jon-Eric,<BR>PEI is very pretty and restful, but Nova Scotia has a lot more to occupy your time IMO. <BR><BR>Cape Breton is the most dramatically scenic area of Nova Scotia, but with only 1 week and 2 islands to visit, if it was me, I would stick to a few nights in PEI and the rest in the very interesting yet non-touristy area of Parrsboro Nova Scotia. The area is noted for its fossils and geology, with tours available and an excellent museum. There are historic homes, some converted into excellent b and bs. There are regular performances on a boat which I've never attended, but I've heard they're very good. If you enjoy beautiful scenery and hiking or biking, its all available. Nearby Cape Chignito {sp?} is worth a trip.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Brian Kilgore

If you can find the PEI web site, which is probably http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide<BR>yopu'll find a button to click to prder the PEI tourr guide book.<BR><BR>I received one of these last weekend, and was very impressed with the quality of production -- it's a well done publication -- and with the wide variety of things to do in PEI. It's been the better part of a quarter century since I've been there, and it seems from the book that the best parts have remained, and there's lots more to do, too.<BR><BR>Get the book. It will help your planning.<BR><BR>As for your NS plus PEI question. Assuming a nine day week (Saturday, Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun.) What I would do is fly to Halifax, spend a day walking around; rent a car and spend a day in the Peggy's Cove, Chester region, returning to Halifax that night. Next day drive to the ferry to PEI at Caribou (near Pictou and New Glascow)and head for PEI by boat.<BR><BR>Once in PEI, enjoy yourself until you get bored or it is time to go back to Halifax to return the cr and catch a plane.<BR><BR>Make the return trip via the Confederation Bridge to the mainland, arriving in new Brunswick.<BR><BR>If you get bored with a couple of days to spare, take the bridge to new Brunswick, drive into Nova Scotia, and then drive down the Nova Scotia side of the Bay of Fundy, across the bottom of Nova Scotia, and back on the Atlantic side to Halifax. This could take two to three days, if you stopped every once in a while, but did not kill an entire day on a beach.<BR><BR>And, be warned; the water at the PEI beaches is nice and warm, at least in Canadian terms, but the water at Nova Scotia beaches is very cold. Plan to swim on PEI, or the New Brunswick shoreline facing PEI.<BR><BR>Chances are NS and NB have good guides too. It's just that the PEI potato promotion manager gave me the PEI book, plus four potatoes, the other day.<BR><BR>BAK<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:54 AM
Tanya

Are you flying direct to PEI (or via Halifax?). Perhaps you flight would permit you to depart from Halifax if you decide to do two provinces? <BR><BR>If you like biking, you can rent a bike and do the awesome bike trails PEI has available. There is a website - check out the main tourism one for the Island.<BR><BR>If you are looking for Acadian roots, check out Grand Pre in Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley?<BR><BR>As for hiking, I would suggest the Cabot Trail and the various routes available in the National Park. Although you will need at least 3 full days in Cape Breton.<BR><BR>I am sure you will find enough on PEI to keep you occupied for a full week. The beaches are great, food wonderful and so is the hospitality. However, you will find PEI (and its beaches) more crowded than other Maritime provinces. NB has to offer Parlee Beach and some wonderful national parks as well.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:41 AM
Molly

Tanya's right - PEI does have the most amazing bike trails! If I remember correctly, miles and miles of railway has been converted into connecting trails leading through pretty villages, past cows and ponds, over bridges, through woods and pasture - lovely! The bike trails are my very favorite memory of PEI.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:29 PM
Jon-Eric

Thanks again everyone! I probably will combine PEI with either Nova Scotia or NB. From here I can either fly to Halifax and/or fly from Halifax to Charlottetown. I've definitely heard good things about Cape Breton and people do seem to like Halifax as a city so I'm sure theres enough there to see. Thanks