Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passport Card for Car Entry and Car Insurance question

Old Jun 17th, 2024, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an oddball question but I just got my passport renewed and decided to get a passport card also at the same time, as it wasn't that much more. I'll be driving to Canada from VT next month and that was my plan to use it.

Has anyone used one for this? I just realized when I read the state dept website, it talks about how I can use it for entry to the US from Canada/Mexico but actually never says if Canada accepts it for entry into Canada from the US. If not, that would make it kind of worthless, but the language I found on the state dept website was odd or I missed it.

I just figured that way I don't have to worry about losing my passport when going on trips to Canada or Mexico but need reassurance.

Also, do I need a photocopy of pages of my car insurance documents to prove I have coverage there? I thikn I read something about that somewhere.

thanks
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 04:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure where you looked but per the Dept of State:

"Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry proof of citizenship and identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. Children under 16 only need proof of U.S. citizenship."

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...%20citizenship.
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks

I think it was probably this URL that just talks about entry from Canada into the US

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...port/card.html

It has this line -- The card is for U.S. citizens who travel by land and sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Caribbean countries.
And then a table that only says it is for entry from Canada.

I figured it had to be or it would be worthless, but better to find out for sure.

Last edited by Christina; Jun 18th, 2024 at 02:40 PM.