Search

Passport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passport

My family is traveling to Toronto soon. We are flying to Detroit and then driving a rental car through Canada. Do we need passports, or is a picture ID sufficient? Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 08:18 PM

Proof of citizenship is required. If you don't have passports, you'll need another form of proof of citizenship, such as an original birth certificate with raised seal. A picture ID is NOT sufficient.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 02:15 PM

We have a Canadian permit from our insurance company and an International drivers license, got this from the Canadian Govt. website.

We, also, are taking a rental into Canada.

Double check this info. With the rental car co. and the Govt.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 03:02 PM

djkbooks is right--you need either a passport or prood of citizenship such as original birth certificate. Passport is the easiest--they just run it through the machine and you are good to go. Haven't gone there since 9/11 with only a birth certificate.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:17 PM

Just got back from Calgary, today in fact. A passport makes life easier.
The US Customs official at the Calgary airport asked me for my passport. I showed it, and he said goodbye.

The customs guys were the rascals. They even took my wife's apple!

The Canadians will not give you a hard time about your rental car, but make sure for your protection that the rental company knows you are going to Canada.
I never took an international license to Canada and never needed to show one.

A yellow card for proof of insurance is supposed to be required. I had my insurance agent prepare one, but I never had to show it. Of course, I never had an accident in Canada either.

When you return to the US, do not bring back any beef. There is a ban in effect.

While in Canada I crossed into the US and came back. When I returned, yesterday, there was one heck of a backup at the Coutts/Sweetgrass crossing to get into the USA. I supposed that the customs boys were quizzing everybody about beef. Trucks and cars were backed way up.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:18 PM

Actually, it is the immigration official who looks at the passport. The customs guys just take apples from old ladies.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:30 AM

Just got back from trip to Banff - Flew from Fort Lauderdale to Calgary. My wife and I used our birth certificates and driver's licenses. No problem or delay what so ever. As fast as it was, I could not imagine it being any faster with a passport. My birth certificate was original and had a stamp, but it was not raised. My wife's was raised. No problem for either of us. I do think you should have an original, though.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:05 AM

travel.state.gov website says entry to Canada for US citizens requirements are passport of proof of citizenship and photo ID. I am sure different agents at different entry points at different times may or may not strictly enforce this, but why take a chance?

The worst fruit confiscators are at the California border with Washington.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Problem is, many folks happen to have a document "Certificate of Registration of Birth" which is NOT a birth cerficate. And, a "picture id" is a suppplement, not proof of citizenship.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:13 PM

PS
Be sure to tell your car rental company agent that you are driving into Canada.
In addition to the standard firearms, alcohol, and tobacco questions, the Canadian border official also quizzed me about the rental car.

There is a yellow card insurance form that is supposedly required. Most car insurance agents have them and can fill the out very quickly for you.