Reload this Page >

Crossing from USA to Canada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:16 PM
Paul

My wife and I will be visiting Canada this summer for the first time ever. We are U S citizens. Which official documents are required as proof of US citizenship? Also, any hassles of any kind by Customs officers?<BR>Thanks for your advice.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:31 PM
Donna

Proof of US Citizenship is required to RETURN to the US. When crossing into Canada, you will be asked if you have anything to declare (liquor, cigarettes, etc.) and you are required to have an insurance certificate for your vehicle (your insurance agent can readily provide one) but we've never once been asked to produce that. They'll ask were you live, the purpose of your trip, the length of your stay, then wave you on. They have fabulous maps if you need one.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:54 AM
chris

Having crossed the border at least a dozen times (but not since 9/11), I can say that about all you need is a valid driver's license. I've never heard of someone being denied entry because they didn't have an insurance certificate. If you want to carry a passport, go ahead, but the treaties between the US, Canada and Mexico say that no passport is required to cross a common border.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:57 AM
xxx

Actually, I crossed the US border (I am Canadian) post 9/11 and they did do a thorough questionning and did ask us for some sort of ID so it was a good thing we brought our passports. They also took away our fruit (it was from Morocco!). I don't know what its like for Americans crossing into Canada but as long as you have some ID, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:24 AM
cindy

Paul ( & Chris), no passport is required but you ARE required, upon request, to provide proof of US citizenship to enter Canada (citizens from most other countries need passports , often with visas). A driver's license is not proof of citizenship, and I have seen people turned away (rarely, I admit) for lack of such proof. Technically you can bring a driver's license as proof of identity AND a [certified] birth certificate or naturalization papers as proof of citizenship, but I've always found it easiest just to bring the passport.<BR>Paul, most border crossings (are you going by car? By plane?) between the US and Canada are hassle free if you are a US citizen and not carrying any prohibited materials (weapons, including pepper spray, which they always seem to ask me about, radar detectors for the car)BUT , of course you always risk getting stuck in line behind an individual or vehicle who has been singled out for further scrutiny.<BR><BR>In short, should be painless, but allow extra time just in case

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Cheryl

I live in Buffalo and cross the border often. We never travel between the US and Canada without our birth certificates (originals - not copies). Your birth certificate and voter registration card are proof of citizenship (and obviously a passport). A driver's license is not "proof," but recently they have been asking to see your license (returning to Buffalo). According to the Buffalo News a few days ago, hassles depend on whether you get a customs agent or an immigration agent. For the most part, however, crossing the border is hassle free. Have fun.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Will

You need to bring proof of citizenship to enter to US from any other country. That would be passport. If you do not have one and are returning from the Caribbean, Mexico, or Canada a certified birth certifate will suffice. My sister was refused reentrance into the US from Mexico because she did not have her birth certificate with her. I had to drive to our hotel in San Diego and get it and bring it back to Customs while she waited in the office.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:25 AM
s

2 forms of ID: need a passport or other proof of citizenship and a driver's license / picture ID. I cross over frequently in Detroit. If you take a birth certificate (original & certified), must have a picture ID as a secondary ID. And an FYI - pepperspary and mace are illegal in Canada. Can't use radar detectors either. They will ask you if you have alcohol, tobacco and firearms. I usually don't have any problems.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:41 AM
April

True, they asked my husband for picture ID as well as the birth certificate. We were travelling from Canada into the US a couple of weeks ago. I have never gotten through customs so fast in my life, both ways. On the way down I was only asked where we were going and for how long. Returning to Canada the customs agent asked how long we were gone, the total of our purchases and if the car was mine. That was it.

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:47 PM
kim

What about for minor children? We're thinking about taking our summer vacation in Canada this year. Do we need the kid's birth certificates as well?

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Bob Brown

Even before 9/11 there were two sets of de facto rules in effect for American citizens crossing the US-Canadian border. I will find out in a few days what it is like now. <BR><BR>When entering and returning at airports, having my passport has saved me quite a bit of hassle and questioning. The first time I had my birth certificate and driver's license.<BR>That got me by, but not without questioning. The next time I took my passport and sailed through.<BR><BR>Even pre 9/11 people who lacked proof of citizenship were put through quite a barrage of questions at airports. One friend of mine, who is part Navajo got the "treatment" because she had neither a voter registration card nor a birth certificate The immigration officer did not know what to make of her, or her appearance. Finally a phone call to her employer satisfied him.<BR><BR>Crossing by car seems to have a different set of rules. In my many crossings, I have yet to show a document of any kind. I got a royal quizzing once when driving a Hertz car from Calgary to Montana. The customs border agent actually seemed offended that an American was driving a vehicle with a Canadian license plate. He hit me with a barrage of questions so fast that I forgot I had my passport. I was reaching for it, and my wife was pulling the rental contract out of the glove compartment, when he waved me on without looking at either document.<BR><BR>The only time I have ever seen the Canadian officials give a vehicle a total shakedown was at a Montana crossing. The driver of a van in front of me gave the border official a few smart comments when being asked the usual questions about firearms and tobacco. In fact, the man was offensive. I guess the officials decided to show him who was boss and told him to pull over to the side. As I drove off I could see in my rear view mirror that the insides of the car were rapidly becoming the outsides. I don't know if they let the air out of his tires and looked inside or not, but they were giving the vehicle and the driver a royal going over. So don't give any of the border officials wise answers. They have the power to make your life miserable.<BR>

Old May 5th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Doug

Please remember to leave all handguns at home. Handguns without proper permits are not allowed in Canada. Many people often forget the 45 in the glove compartment.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Debbie

It was just in our TRAVEL section of the sunday paper yesterday that your voter's registration is NOT considered a "proof" card for citizenship. My son goes to university in Canada so we have been up over the border more in the last year. If you are renting a rental car-be sure that you can take it over the border and that it has the special insurance card in the glove compartment.We have always had our passports but have not been asked for them except when we flew into Toronto airport.Most of the customs people want to know where you are going,where you are from ,how long you will be there and the purpose of the trip.We have had great luck with all of our various customs people. Enjoy Canada-we love it!

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:45 AM
LJ

One poster asked about kids and border crossings. We (Canadians) have taken vacations in the US with our own child and various pals of hers often over the years; we have been asked to provide ID (used a passport) and a letter of temporary guardianship for the other child. For 17 of the 18 years we have been doing this, no sweat. But one time the Canadian authorities did not want us to leave the country without checking back with the child's parents. Frankly as a parent, I was glad of this careful attitude. Obviously, if the kids are your own (and you can prove it with the passport) it is not a problem.

Old May 12th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought i just heard on the news that we as Canadians sometime soon, next year?? wasn't listening to carefully.... will not be allowed entry period into the United States without a passport. That all Canadians will have to have a passport.
Also i was hassled when i took my kids to Florida even with a letter from my husband. Having it notarized by a lawyer is best!!
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Although the original message was USA to Canada I responding to Brinka0's response. By Dec. 2005 all Canadians will need a passport to fly into the US. By 2007 passports will also be required to drive across the border. Currently, over 20 Million Canadians are now without passports - so don't leave it to the last minute.
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:03 PM

The new Passport requirement also applies to US citizens returning home from Canada (and other Western Hemisphere countries where we previously only needed a birth certificate or driver's license).
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:31 AM

Rookie is right. The tourism industry near the border is having a fit because Americans going to a conference in Seattle will now not come for a quick trip to Vancouver or Victoria because they would need their passport.

For now, a valid birth certificate and picture ID will usually suffice. I have used a passport for all air travel for years, even for travel within Canada (I am Canadian), and for all travel outside Canada including the US...just because it is easier.
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:52 AM

We've been to Vancouver 4 times traveling from Hawaii. We have never had problems going in to Canada but usually get stopped coming out. The first time we brought our State ID and driver's license and they weren't going to let us come back. Now we bring our birth certificates and driver's license. For our two kids, we brought their birth certificate and their school IDs and we had no problems.

BUT DO NOT BRING EVEN PLASTIC GUNS - they confiscated my son's plastic Power Ranger guns that we had forgot he had in his bag.
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:59 AM

Dandy - you might want to read up on the US re-entry requirements for US citizens &amp; legal residents. Sorry, but a birth certificate won't work much longer.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -