Parking in Ottawa and Montreal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some open days in my trip to Canada. We will have a rental car and (hopefully) visit both Ottawa and Montreal. However, I was planning on pricelining our accommodation at the last minute because we are flexible.

But will we find places to park in downtown areas? Do Canada brand hotels usually have parking? (I've never been to North America)

i.e. can I use priceline safe in the knowledge that having a car will not be a problem?
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and another question - how many days would you suggest in each place?

I was thinking 2 nights Ottawa (1.5 days) and maybe 2 -3 nights Montreal. But I could possibly do more.

We travel fast - youngish couple. Like taking photos, history and scenery. But we have travelled extensively in Europe so we do get a bit blase about some things that we have seen many times.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:30 AM
ron

Regarding Ottawa, I can't think of any city centre hotel in the 4 star range that would not have parking. Don't expect it to be free, though. You will be looking at $18 to $20 per day. And you will probably find that your car will be sitting in the parking garage during your whole stay, giving that most tourist sights will be walkable. Makes me wonder why you want a car, as Montreal will be much the same.

I think your timing split between Ottawa and Montreal is fine.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

We will have a car as we are based in Orillia with relatives for almost 2 weeks.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 12:16 PM

I believe all of the major hotels in both cities offer parking, and it will run you about $15.00 a night. We often stay at b&b's, and finding a parking spot on the street is usually not a problem, just make sure you understand when the car must be moved to the other side of the street, as the Montreal police are quick to ticket cars parked illegally.
3 nights in Montreal and 2 in Ottawa is a good mix. Montreal is much bigger and diverse, but Ottawa has some great museums.
In general, Montreal is a city of dining, shopping and strolling thru interesting neighborhoods. Ottawa is a city of history and museums.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 05:17 AM

I've never stayed at a hotel in North America that did not have parking (although in cities, usually at a price as mentioned), so I think you can safely assume this. If you stay in downtown Ottawa, you can leave the car at the hotel and walk to most of the places you will want to visit. If you're a little tired, say after dinner - it's usually a quick and inexpensive taxi ride from wherever you are back to your hotel. You might use the car to visit a couple of spots across the river in Gatineau Quebec - e.g. the Museum of Civilzation (although it's right across from downtown Ottawa so you could walk across the bridge), and maybe Gatineau Park which is extensive. Lots of parking in both these places.

Montreal is larger, although you can still walk much of the downtown. My last visit (couple years ago) we drove to the Old Montreal district and I don't remember having trouble finding parking. I think there was an extensive parking lot near the river.